Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the body shop gave an estimate to the insurance company. The insurance adjuster came out and totalled the van. I guess we will be a one car family now.

This is depressing.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I take it no full coverage then -- that sucks. At least no one was hurt but its def a setback for you I know. I'm hoping some good luck comes your way on getting an affordable car soon!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chea said:
I take it no full coverage then -- that sucks. At least no one was hurt but its def a setback for you I know. I'm hoping some good luck comes your way on getting an affordable car soon!
Well, we had full coverage, but the van is a 1994 and it cost more to fix it than it is worth. :(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
So are you going to get an insurance check then?? Thats at least better than nothing. Hoping something good comes out of it Cheryl-- a decent amount would be a good start!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Heather's right, you should get a check for the Blue Book (plus or minus any extras/damages your van had prior to the accident) value of the van, minus your deductible.

Here's the site for the Kelly Blue Book:
http://www.kbb.com/

You can search for your van, the year, and extras it had. The insurance company will also take into acct any damages it had to it before though, like dents, scratches, torn interrior, broken windows/mirrors, etc.

I hope it's a decent amt too!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
:hugz:

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YankeeMom said:
Heather's right, you should get a check for the Blue Book (plus or minus any extras/damages your van had prior to the accident) value of the van, minus your deductible.

Here's the site for the Kelly Blue Book:
http://www.kbb.com/

You can search for your van, the year, and extras it had. The insurance company will also take into acct any damages it had to it before though, like dents, scratches, torn interrior, broken windows/mirrors, etc.

I hope it's a decent amt too!
Thanks for this info!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
We have been a one car family for almost the entire ten years we have been married. It sure does save on car insurance. It does help that we both live VERY close to our jobs.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
:hug2:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
ouch!..I know that feeling...but look at it this way...at least you have another vehicle to rely on.......her'e our van story....about 2 yrs ago dh totaled our 15 passenger van and all we had was liablity.......and it was our only vehicle. We had paid it off two yrs prior and after the accident, we had to find another van and we had to start making payments again...still making them...ggggrrrr. Just so we could make the payments we had to drop our health ins. from dh's work, refinance the house...and about after 6 months of making van payments, we had to refinance those as well b/c our credit union was ripping us off w/ hidden fees....ggggrrrr.....we learned a very valuable lesson about car ins, needless to say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts