Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you ladies. I am currently living in an efficiency suite hotel, and i have a small kitchen, two electric burners, one small--one medium, a full size fridge, and a microwave. I brought in my toaster oven. I cannot yet bring over my slow cooker & forman grill. I am running out of idea's of what to cook. I am using the cookware the hotel provides which is not nonstick. I've got one pot and a couple of skillets but they are sort of deep. I actually cooked some broken spaghetti in one. I'm with my hubby and children, 15 &11. Can anyone give me some idea's? I'm stumped right now.

Thanks! Lynnwantstosave$$ :coffee3:

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Could probably do a lot better if I knew what you had for food..............the burner situation is no big deal........two---with pots should be enough..........

What do you have in the pantry/refrig. line? What are/have you been using for seasonings..........have any soup? spices?

Almost anything will go with a 'one pot' hamburger meal......toss in some veggies and either rice or pasta, some seasonings, and you are good to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure what size your toaster oven is but mine will hold a 9x13 and I cook everything in it. muffins (6 at a time in a pan i got at the thrift store), cakes, casseroles, square pizza, pork chops, chicken, bagels, hot sandwiches anything that will fit, you just have to watch it because it seems to cook a little faster than my conventional oven. Also rotissorie chicken from the grocery store is often marked down, you can do alot with that. Good luck just consider it a frugal challenge not as a negative thing. Keep an open mind and I bet you' ll come up with many meals to cook for your family. Best wishes.

Reactions: Lynnwantstosave$$

·
Registered
26 Posts
I found this website after I posted you last night. "A year of slow cooking". This lady cooked every meal in a crock pot for a year even desserts. Amazing what you will be able to once you get your crock pot there.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
What kinds of things are you cooking now? For how many?

With one pot (size?) and two skillets, a toaster oven and microwave you ought to be able to do anything.

You can saute or brown chicken breasts, burgers, fish filets...
make rice or noodle side dishes, stovetop stuffing
brown ground beef or turkey for tacos, sloppy joes, and to use in chili
If your pot has a lid you can make (wait for it) pot roast. You can use a plate for a lid, too.

Use the microwave to steam vegetables or heat frozen vegs.

You should be able to heat prepared items like fish sticks, chicken patties, egg rolls, frozen entrees, pot pies, and apple turnovers in the toaster oven.

Hit the dollar store for cheap nonstick pans and small casserole dishes for the toaster oven. You might also find some at thrift stores. With a small casserole you can bake lasagna or mac and cheese. Check out the foil cookware at the grocery store also. You can get pans to make mini loaves, single serving pies, and you may even find a 6-cup muffin pan that can be used in the toaster.

Reactions: Lynnwantstosave$$

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You everyone. I know that question may have sounded a little crazy to everyone. But i am so stressed with our life right now i just wasnt thinking straight. And then dinner time hits me like a ton of bricks.Then Im standing there running my finger over my lips.When i had a home, i cooked alot of our meals in the oven. There is no oven here and it threw me off. My family is hubby and i and 2 kids 15 &11. I also dont have my spices/seasonings anymore. I'm on food stamps now i'll try to get a few basic ones. Also recently my son has been told he can no longer eat--apples, banana's, pasta, rice, potatoes, cookies, bread. Sometimes, ill still cook potatoes or rice for the rest of us but in a way my son wouldnt like anyway so he isnt missing out. He can eat all the chicken, beef, etc that he wants though. The pot i have is a medium size, not very large and not small. I actually have 3 skillets now, they are deep. I've used them as a second pot. Contrary Housewife you cracked me up when you said "If your pot has a lid (wait for it) you can make pot roast. I needed a giggle. I was thinking i can make those things when i get my crock pot over here. I am going to go read the year of slow cooking. Thanks for posting the link! I just needed someone to say OK, duh remember do this or that (without a big oven.) I'm going to go make a menu out...

·
Registered
816 Posts
In the summer, I dont use my oven at all, it's just TOO hot. there is so much you can do in a skillet and a pot. Sometimes I just google "skillet cooking" and look for recipes. Or I go to allrecipes and look up whatever meat I am looking to cook and sort by method.

Anyway, one of the things I like to do is chicken breasts. I just cut them thin (no sense buying the more expensive thin cut ones when you can do it yourself.) Then I egg and bread crumb them. Then I put a little oil (maybe a tablespoon or 2) into the skillet, and cook them up on medium heat for a few minutes per side.
The other thing we do a lot is pasta with meat sauce. I think everyone does that one, tho. I will go through my recipes if you want and pick out some to put here.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
There's a blog of a fellow who fed himself for $1 a day I believe. His way of getting salt at first was to use what was left in the bottom of a box of crackers.

When DH & I have been really poor, every now and then we'd go to Macs for cheap hamburgers. We'd take 2 salt & pepper packets each. He'd use 1 pepper, I wouldn't use any, and we'd take the others home. You can also get salsa this way from Taco Bell. Don't go nuts, just take what you might use on the food you buy, and use it sparingly.

The guy who was eating on $1 a day used a lot of coupons and cash rewards. The blog was posted on grocerycouponguide (dot) com.

Here's a link to the 10 things he learned from doing that:
10 Things I Learned Eating On $1 A Day For A Month - Grocery Coupon Guide

IHTH!

Judi

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
My daughters and I enjoy quesdillas in the toaster oven. You can mask most anything in a quesadilla, make them breakfast, lunch, or dinner varieties. Quick, easy, and tortillas are usually fairly cheap particularly when on sale. They freeze well too. (you do have a freezer with the full-sized fridge, right?)

Pick out a corner of the room, or under the bed perhaps, to start stocking up on your canned goods. It helps to be able to see a variety of sauces, veggies, fruits to work with and the cans will be easy to move, wont spoil, etc.

A very strange place to live, I haven't been following your "story" to see how you ended up in an hotel-type situation but that's gotta be a displaced feeling right now. Try to come up with comfort foods for everyone if you can, it will help with adjustment. (my 2 bit opinion)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.