Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is your book collection broken up into groups?
Your videos and music subdivided by type?
Do you know who Bach, Brahms and Beethoven are?
Is the daily crossword puzzle on your standard list of things to do?
Make up mental games while driving?

DD revealed the ugly truth a few years ago on vacation. We took on of her friends along and she said, " Oh, my mom is always THAT way. I've gotten used to traveling with nerds."
We have developed a code word in our family to stop mom when shes on a explaination, because she will overload friends.:fyi:

Laurie in BRadenton

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
On my gosh!!!! Mental games like making up songs to know every exit through Georgia on I-75 and how many miles apart they are????? Alphabetizing you're cassette tapes????? (and yes my books are grouped and sub-divided) I even have standard objects I use to represent numbers, which is an awesome memory trick by the way. Like the number 6 is always represented in my head as an elephant's trunk curled. It's not even intentional anymore.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
LOL, all my books are organised alphabetically and under fiction, non fiction etc, just like a library - I actually started to list them in the comp under which heading I would find a particular book!!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Over-organization is NOT a problem in my house, LOL! :D

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Ah, I just read the "new forum" kith rules.... sorry I jumped in on this post without actually belonging to this kith. I WANT to be overly organized, but I'm not. ;)

·
8,714 Posts
~I belong here. My house is still messy overall, but I obsessively organize my books, papers, clothes, kids clothes, ect. My dvd shelf is organized my genre type and actor. My closet is organized by item type and color(easy to do in a 2 foot closet). The kids toyboxes are seperated into a trucks and balls box, a stuffed-animal box, and an All-Those-Other-Little-Things box. My hubby does the cd's organized alphabetically. I'd think my level of organization was a normal effect of having 4 people in a 750 square foot house except I find myself daydreaming about how to organize things. And Laurie, I must do the explaining thing too because my sis likes to sarcastically quote a line from Swiss Family Robinson and says "Sooner or later Ernst tells me everything he knows".~

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Any and all attempts to become an organized freak quickly is undermined by my family. I learned years ago to remain that organized I would have to just about beat my family to death to keep it that way. Preferring a happy family over a miserable one I learned to back off.

So I am not so organized but I am somewhat of clean freak. It's just that when I clean I clean. Toothpicks and cotton swabs are common cleaning supplies in my house. Once I get started I can't seem to stop myself from getting a little compulsive. What starts out as a quick wipe up can turn into a 4 hour cleaning project for me. In fact growing up my sister would call me clean freak and I in turn would call her half-ass.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Yep, this describes me. :) I wouldn't say I'm perfectly organized but I love organizing things. My scrapbook paper is in rainbow order (ROYGBIV) for instance. (Shh...don't tell!). I tidy shelves in supermarkets or stores too. And I organize the movies at the library on the shelves (for instance our library branch has about 8 copies of Van Helsing - why I don't know - and I put them all together yesterday. It was driving me crazy seeing them all over the shelves). ;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I get this from my father, I just wish hubby had a hint of it himself. I find a place for it and he uses it and leaves it laying there :furious: I have been known to let something sit for weeks..just to see if he will ever put something away (I almost always have to break down and do it, drives me nuts). I have organized the screws, nails and things in little cups with velcro tabs attached to the bottom of cup and drawer...so you can remove and use and then put back exactly were it was. All my plastic bowls in the cupboard have to be stacked inside each other and there is a pattern...or they don't fit. Vhs tapes and DVDs are all grouped into comedy, westerns, love, and ect. I love to have things organized, I don't waste time looking for things and I usually know exactly were everything is...because I reorganize the draweras all the time.
My fathers garage is amazing...He has hung every tool he owns on peg boards and in sequence large to small and then has outlined every tool with a sharpe marker.........if something is missing, he flips out. We used to mess with him, just for fun. We would sneek in there and mix up his screwdivers, or rehang his wrenches in the wrong order (LOL).

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Once I was cleaning out the furnace room and I spent the first day ironing old sheets of tissue paper out of gift bags, folding them, sorting by colour (yes, ROYGBIV ;)) and putting them in a plastic container.

The cd's are arranged alphabetically, the DVDs alphebetically by genre (lists of both are contained in a database). My housework and meal plan is scheduled on my palm pilot.

Remarkably, the books are in no particular order. Although, I only unpacked them 2 days ago, and there is an entire wall of them. I allowed myself to put them out without cataloging them first because it is such a huge job and I want to do it when I have more time.

I don't know about the nerdy bit ;) but everyone in the house desperately avoids any topic that could conceivably lead to my 2 hour lecture on Tudor and Stuart England.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Me, me!!! I'm an overorganized nerd and proud of it!

I've actually thought SOOOOO many times about becoming a professional organizer because I LOVE it so much and because it brings me great satisfaction, which is something that you need to have in a career.

Haven't really followed through on that dream for a variety of reasons, so, for the meantime, I overorganize myself. :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm an over-organized nerd within only a few select categories: I'm a former librarian, my books are highly organized. My kitchen, all foodstuffs, anything related to cooking is highly organized.(canned goods are stored by type, all labels must face the same way....almost OCD) The rest of the house looks like the aftermath of a tornado.
The nerd part comes from being an avid reader with a love for learning and an ability to squirrel away vast amounts of interesting trivia. (at least I find it interesting)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sisters!!! I feel so much better to see that there are others just like me!!But as you'all can see I'm no a techy. Can't seem to get my new pic in the right spot??!! Oh,well I'll keep at it.Also happy to see that I'm not the only cleaner. I have a hardtime in a messy house I will start to tidy up without even thinking about it. All of a sudden dh or dd will say the magic word "Hairties" and I know I've gone over the edge AGAIN! lol

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
OK, so I obiviously cannot figure out how you all are doing the "quote thing"...can you tell me how!?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Me too. I'm addicted to organization. Unfortunately, I seem to wage a constant battle against entropy and my efforts seem short-lived at best. But then I wade in and tackle it again. I relate to the organized pantry and labels facing one way. Why would you want them facing sideways or backwards? Makes no sense.... I don't have paper to organize by color but the quilt stash -- I can play at organizing it for days; it's almost more fun than quilting!

I also try to organize ME, but I have to admit I have less success at that. Still, a list, organized of course, is a very comforting thing....

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
OK, so I obiviously cannot figure out how you all are doing the "quote thing"...can you tell me how!?
Thanks
In the bottom right-hand corner of each person's post is a "quote" button. Clicking it will bring you to the reply page with that person's response quoted.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
In the bottom right-hand corner of each person's post is a "quote" button. Clicking it will bring you to the reply page with that person's response quoted.

thanks

:thumb:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I too am way over organized according to a lot of people.

My DVDs and CDs are sorted and shelved alphabetically as were my cassettes when I was a kid. Last year, I finally went through a major purge of these items and go the collections down to a reasonable level so now it doesn't take all day when I re organize. Now if only I could find reasonably priced, easy to use software to track my DVDs and CDs and Vinyl collection, I'd be set.

My closet is what really gets people though. I have a shelving unit hanging in the closet and one side are my pants, skirts and dress and on the other side are my shirts. And everything is arranged by color. It makes getting ready in the morning much easier.

I really do need to break down an organize the books. I used to have a different book shelf for Sci-fi, Non-Fiction, and General Fiction. But then I moved back home and purged the book collection to get the collection down to one bookshelf. So now everything sits on the same bookshelf. I still haven't gotten things organized on the shelves enough to statisfy me.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
All my books, movies & spices are in alphebetical order & my clothes are organized into sections exm. skirts all together in their drawer, pants all together in their drawer, tops all together in their drawer.
I also have all my earrings organized, each color has it's own section where they go.:rolleyes: :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts