Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my quest to lose a good amount of weight in the new year I have found myself lacking in other areas. I drink way too much diet soda. We are talking 4-5 can a day. I take excedrin everyday for my headaches/migraines, not to mention the caffeine helps me stay alert. DH keeps bothering me about being more healthy and quitting the diet soda habit. He thinks it is going to kill me someday.

I put a pitcher of plain water with lemon juice in it in the fridge. I might try making a pitcher of regular coffee at night, let it cool and blend some in the morning for a cool coffee drink. I ordered a product online called migralief to help me in my transition to no excedrin.

Any other tips or tricks would be gladly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Have you joined the "Lose a Pound a Week" challenge thread yet? Lots of support and motivation there!

You might be running a vicious caffeine cycle there, with taking all the Excedrin to help you stay awake and to keep you from having headaches. Likely, that much caffeine (and I'm presuming the diet drinks are caffeinated?) is what is giving you those headaches in the first place, or rather, your body trying to detox off of the addiction is causing the headaches, which makes you feed the addiction with more caffeine. Rather than having a pitcher of iced coffee, maybe keep a pitcher of decaf, and allow yourself one caffeinated drink in the morning, and one or two cups of coffee, cooled and iced, in the early afternoon, and no caffeine the rest of the day. You may get a headache, and you can take Tylenol or something without caffeine to help, but be ready. I had to quit caffeine cold turkey for six months, a few weeks ago, for health reasons, and for about a week, my head felt like it was going to fall off. No getting around it except to get through it.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The caffeine roller-coaster is likely the source of the headaches and sleepiness. Thus, you reach for another can for relief. Vicious cycle.

Have you been to a doctor for the migraines themselves? If its hormone related then no amount of diet soda, coffee, caffeine is going to fix them, in any doses.

I would not necessarily give up the excederin until you have both given up the soda/coffee/caffeine sources AND seen a doctor about the migraines.

My two cents and some hugs to get you through it.

Reactions: Jayceef
G

·
I've never given up caffiene, so I may not be the best person to answer, but I occasionally get migraine headaches from it. The best advice I got was to avoid headaches, just keep your caffiene intake constant - if you have one coffee in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, don't skip one or have an extra. Just keep it the same everyday. I have found that makes the headaches almost non-existant.

Of course, it doesn't help with giving it up!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yeah, the headaches from giving up caffeine are nasty. I gave up caffeine over a year ago. I do feel much better. I just started drinking coffee in November, but I have 1 cup in the morning and that's it. I agree with madhen though, you need to taper off gradually. Cold turkey is tough.

Reactions: Jayceef

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I'm not sure if you are interested; but I am trying to give up the soda thing too. I don't drink diet so mine is not only the caffeine, but the sugar too. There is a book out named Drink this; not that and it tells you better items to drink. Two things I have found that I like and are in the drink this category are nestles pure life flavored water and propel. At the front of the book it has the 20 worst drinks in America

·
Registered
147 Posts
Gotta be honest, I used to suffer from terrible migranes as well (vomiting, blacking out etc). Since I cut out meat, fast food and most processed food from my diet, I haven't had a SINGLE one! And I'm talking I had these several times a month for the last 15 years.

We all need to think more about what we're putting in our bodies. The amount of chemicals in processed/fast food/non-organic meat is terrifying! We freak out about a recall on a baby toy because the plastic is BPA, but we don't think twice about finding out what's ACTUALLY in our food! We just assume if the FDA says its ok, it must be!

If you can't kill it, grow it, milk it or catch it, don't eat it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
You're having rebound headaches/migraines from taking excedrine all the time. And combined with too much caffeine you have a vicious cycle going on. Excedrine has caffeine in it too.

Couple years ago I took a week's vacation from work and ended up sick at the same time. Lousy timing. I woke up and the thought of coffee/tea/soda or anything with caffeine didn't sound appealing (because I was sick). I figured while I was at home and sick anyway, I might as well detox myself off of caffeine. Oh and at the time I was taking alot of ibuprofen because of migraines. So I was on the caffeine/ibuprofen/migraine rollercoaster too with a lot of rebound headaches happening. That week, I detoxed off of both ibuprofen and caffeine. It took a week for the caffeine headache and the fuzzy head feeling to go away but it really wasn't too bad. I have a prescription for migraine meds but I never did get a migraine while detoxing. I learned that I have to reach for my prescription migraine meds first, not the ibuprofen.

I feel alot better, I don't get nearly as many migraines, and I've kicked the soda addiction. I'm back to drinking coffee/tea and the occasional soda, but its not all day long like before. And I'm not taking the ibuprofen for headaches anymore.

Good luck to you! You can do this. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.