Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with everything else with having a :baby: baby, I'm finding that everyone has an opinion on whether or not to give her a pacifier.

I'm giving her one, and she seems to like it... my theory is that I can take away a pacifier, but it would be harder to break the thumb-sucking habit.

p.s. She finds her fingers to chew on if I don't give her the pacifier!

Anyone else care to weigh in on this one?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I agree with you! and I say as long as it is not illegal, immoral, or dangerous, do what works for you and your kid(s):D

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
my little guy is 3 months and he takes a pacifier. he has since the day he was born (in the hospital)....and he is breastfed too. i agree, you can take it away.;) my sister is 31 years old and still sucks her thumb when she sleeps. :toothy: (she'd kill me if she knew i told you all);)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
My mother was always dead against dummys, she thought they were 'dirty' so it just automatically rubbed off on me. The day my first child was born the hospital put him in the nursery and gave him a dummy ~ I was mortified!

When they gave him back to me and he cryed without it and was quite with it, I had no will to break the new habit. I love life to be 'easy' LOL.

4 out of 5 of my children have had dummys (one didn't because HE didn't like it??)

I took my DD dummy away when she was only 2 and she sucked her thumb instead ~ She STILL does and she's 16!

I say go for it! (IF it works for YOU) and be careful when and how you get rid of it ;)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
my oldest sucked her thumb, in ultrasounds she was so we tried to give her a pacifier but she always spit it out and sucked her thumb..
The triplets were born early and they didnt have the suck, swallow, breathe reflexus yet so they were given pacifier to help with their sucking.. they had them until about 4 (only at night after the first year but)...

I think it all depends on the child and what they need and like, I always say if it works for you that is what you should do...

Eileen

·
Registered
948 Posts
My ds is 5 months old, and he sucks on his thumb, well, actually his whole fist! lol We didn't give him a pacifier until about 1 month, since I breastfed, but after I quit that at 2-1/2 months, he didn't want the pacifier much either.

I have mixed feelings about the issue. Do what works for you! I figure at least the thumb is attached - although I worry how to break the habit when he's older!:toothy:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I'm with Wendy. Ds still uses a pacifier, he'll be 2 mo old next week. Dd used one until she could find her thumb when she wanted it. She's 18 mo next week and has a callus on her thumb from sucking on it. I gave my 10 year old a pacifier when he was a baby, he spit it out at 7 mo and never sucked his thumb.

I had a nephew who talked around his binky when he was 4 and it drove me nuts. He still talks funny I think.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My son used a pacifier till he was 4. He is 12 now. He has a very bad overbite. The dentist blamed it on the pacifer. I do not know if I would let another child of mine get into the habit. We all have overbites so it is a toss up for us.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Whatever keeps them quiet and happy...

But I do prefer the thumb- there's no middle of the night crisis trying to find it, nor can it get dropped in the car where you can't reach it while driving, and it can't get lost in a store.

My ds had a pacifier. Whe he turned 2 it went in the trash and that was the end of it. When I was little, I sucked on my fingers, and I did it alot longer than 2 years old.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
None of my kids took a pacifer, I offered but they just did not want it, but both of my Granddaughters took one, the 3 year old has given hers up but the 8 month old still takes hers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts