Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A simple conversation at a fabric store somehow got me involved in a project senior citizens in another suburb are working on.

These seniors meet at the Senior Center weekly and make crate pads for local shelters. They collect old t-shirts, cut them in strips, and stuff pillowcase types of things for their pads. For the small kitty crates, they use batting when available. I've been collecting old t-shirts from friends/neighbors and plan to drop them off next week.

So I was thinking...many of you crochet, knit, and sew and probably have fabric remnants available. If all of us could make even one crate mat - just one - for a dog or cat and drop it off at a local shelter, just think how many lonely and scared pets could have a warm and soft place to sleep rather than a cold metal or concrete floor. Also, in most places, animal rescue organizations frequent pet stores. They could even be dropped off there. My sewing skills are greatly limited, but even I can sew a square and stuff it. This might even be a great way of teaching kids to sew. Please think about doing this if you can. :)

Reactions: craftypam

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I looked. I don't knit and can only crochet a string to go from my house to yours. Some of the fleece things require a rotary cutter - don't have. The one called Better Petter Sweater I might be able to do with a couple of old sweaters I have.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
You don't need a rotary cutter, if you're talking about making the fringe. A scissor works just fine. It's just easier to get the lines nice and straight with a rotary cutter, but the critters don't care if they're not perfect.

I made forty or fifty Snuggles earlier this year, mostly to use up stash yarn and also get rid of some big pieces of fleece that were seconds and the print wasn't right, so they couldn't be used for clothing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Great idea!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
If anyone wants to get involved in making pads or blankets for shelter pets, I think that's great! But I do want to mention to be sure the shelters actually want the stuff you're making. Some don't. The shelter where we got our cats didn't want the Snuggles I made, so I found another one that did.

Sometimes shelters have specific size guidelines, too.

Some only accept things made in a specific way or of a specific material, since animals tend to chew when they're bored or nervous, and some construction techniques and materials can be dangerous if they're chewed apart.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good points, SD. I'm assuming the seniors have checked with the organizations they donate to, but since I'm thinking of making some myself, I'll do a little investigation. (I'm not quite ready to join the senior group! :lol: )

I saw a bunch of fleece PJ bottoms at the GW store just recently...I think they sell cheap to seniors one day a week. I could get some of those to make some things. (I'll be a senior for a sale. :lol: )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts