Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics from Paige's first trip to the beach when we were in Charleston this weekend. Needless to say she didn't take to it as well as I wished she would. Joe took her shoes off and put her down in the loose/dry sand and she froze and started screaming. Then he picked her up and carried her to where it was packed down but not to wet and drew her name it. After that she sat and dug in the sand for awhile until a wave came in and the water came to her feet and then she was screaming again.

After we got her away from the water she was happy drawing in the sand for awhile. I hope for a better outcome when we go back over the fourth of July, if not it will be a long 7 day's with a kid that doesn't like the sand and water...lol

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
She's so cute and I love her eyes, I cross my fingers she does better in July, most likely she will I am sure the water was a bit cold to her liking. :)

·
27,948 Posts
Oh my how sweetly she's grown. Don't worry, by July she'll be a beach baby, may not be the first day but she'll get into it. Don't know any kids that don't love playing with sand & water. Go Paige!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
What a little sweetheart!

--Michelle

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Adorable pictures, what a cutie. I'm sure when she has a little more time to get used to it, she'll love it....Darlene is right, I don't know too many kids that don't.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
She is so adorable. I agree with the above posters, I don't know many children who don't love the sand and the water. It may take her a day or two, but she will be playing in it before you leave.

Maybe you can transition her into by buying her one of those small kiddie pools and filling it with sand and sand toys. When the time comes to go to the beach, she should be used to the sand between her toes.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
When my son was a toddler the sound the waves made scared him. Our weekend trips to the beach left me at the hotel pool with him while my dh took our older daughter to the beach. After we moved to Tampa he was fine at the beach, but there isn't much for waves in the bay area. He is almost 10 now and I am hoping when we head to the beach this summer, (atlantic ocean we are in NC again) that he won't have issues with the waves. I don't want to be stuck at the hotel pool again. I agree with getting your dd some sand to play with at home so she is used to the texture of it, as for the water maybe it just felt to cold for her.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Thanks for sharing the adorable pictures! Kids just march to the beat of their own drums, so don't worry if she doesn't like the water. My youngest sister was like that when she was little. She was perfectly content to play in the nice, warm, dry sand. She eventually grew to love the water too, but in her own time. :)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
She's such a cutie, I am sure she will get used to the sand and water while you are on vacation.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Wow your daughter has gorgeous eyes!!! She's going to be a handful during her teen years ;)

I agree....maybe next time make it an adventure? Sing songs about it? Read books about the beach, watch any kid videos about the beach etc and just slowly transition her into it.

I think its b/c the beach/ocean is just a wee bit bigger and overwhelming compared to the bathtub, thats maybe whats scaring her. If you carried her into the water in your arms would she freak??? Do you take swimming classes with her? (if you have the time and money?)

Just a thought. She'll come around in no time....summers not that far away now!!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
She sure is a cutie!! I don't live far from the beach out here. My son was always afraid of the water but likes playing in the sand. My daughter loves the sand and water!! With a little time, she may like it.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
My oldest son was afraid of the water when he was younger and both of them took a day or two to adjust to the "differentness" of the sand. Once they adapted they were hooked. I'm sure she'll be fine with the sand once she explores it on her own. We sat with ours on a blanket for awhile and the older one would touch it and pull back, then stick his foot in it, then ignore it, and so on. I just laid there and read my book. Eentually he decided to follow his dad off the blanket after hubby brought me some shells that I oohhed and ahhed over. And that was all she wrote. He was sand boy. Son number two didn't even take that long to wander off the blanket as he was not one to be left behind when big brother looked ok with everything (and had all the toys!!!)

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
what a little doll. Shes deffently a keeper .
Yeah i remember when my kids first went to the beach but then it takes along time to warm up here in the Atlantic. lol

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Here are a few pics from Paige's first trip to the beach when we were in Charleston this weekend. Needless to say she didn't take to it as well as I wished she would. Joe took her shoes off and put her down in the loose/dry sand and she froze and started screaming. Then he picked her up and carried her to where it was packed down but not to wet and drew her name it. After that she sat and dug in the sand for awhile until a wave came in and the water came to her feet and then she was screaming again.

After we got her away from the water she was happy drawing in the sand for awhile. I hope for a better outcome when we go back over the fourth of July, if not it will be a long 7 day's with a kid that doesn't like the sand and water...lol

Awww she is so cute!!!!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Oh Kat, she is so adorable! I can't believe she is already this old. My stars, time does fly, doesn't it? :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts