Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have one? Do you like it? I'm looking for brand names, prices, sizes, cleaning ability, etc.

So, if you have a panini press and absolutely love it, I would love to hear your recommendations!

Thanks bunches!!!:grouphug2

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use a knock off george foreman grill to toast sandwiches and give them panini line lines on the bread. It works just fine, makes great sandwiches and I think the grill cost under $10 when I initially got it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
There cheap enough. I see them all time at St vincent De Paul and salvation for under ten dollars. Will you use it though. I don't want to store it. To me, its a grill cheese maker. If you have a foreman grill it will work too. If not I would prob. get that first. JMHO.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You could just wrap a brick in foil and use that to weigh down your sandwich in the pan. That's basically what a panini press does. If you can live without the cute little grooves, it will work great!

You could get one of those cast iron grill pans if you really want the lines, and use a brick with that. The key to paninis is the pressure!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a knock off george foreman grill to toast sandwiches and give them panini line lines on the bread. It works just fine, makes great sandwiches and I think the grill cost under $10 when I initially got it.
Kit, I had actually thought about this option, although I don't own a George Foreman grill either, but what do you do about pressing the sandwich?
I guess a person could just throw a big can of tomatoes or something on top of it?

Thanks for your suggestion!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What blitzen said!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could just wrap a brick in foil and use that to weigh down your sandwich in the pan. That's basically what a panini press does. If you can live without the cute little grooves, it will work great!

You could get one of those cast iron grill pans if you really want the lines, and use a brick with that. The key to paninis is the pressure!

This is an excellent idea on something to put 'pressure' to smoosh the sandwich down with.

I'm actually not one who buys alot of kitchen gadgets, but I have been researching the presses for awhile now and I really think this would be something that we would use alot.
Especially in the summertime, not having to stand over a hot stove to make sandwiches.

Also I thought it would be a bit handier to clean, as opposed to a skillet, etc.

Thanks for the brick suggestion though, I think that's ingenious!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts

Actually, a panini press also takes away all of that fat, cholesterol, sodium, etc that you'd use to butter your sandwiches on the outside. I make grilled cheese sandwiches on my panini press and they taste way better without a ton of butter/margarine slathered on your bread.

I use my panini press to also make donair sandwiches and to do grilled wraps. You have the convenience to make really awesome panini sandwiches too because you can tilt the top lid in case the sandwich is massive.

I would highly suggest getting one. The one I have is also really easy to clean because all you have to do is spray the non-stick surface with a mix of water and vinegar. Things wipe away so easily and storage is fantastic. I can close the lid, flip on the lock and it stores in really small places.

Reactions: cheles2kids

·
Registered
10,774 Posts

THis is what I do, and it works great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts