Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished cleaning and re-organizing our pantry yesterday and took a quick inventory of the corner where I keep most things "dessert" related. Here's what I've got:

Raisins (gold and regular) - LOTS
Dates - LOTS
Dried Cranberries - small bag
Figs - just a few left
Dried Blueberries - small bag
Prunes - one of those tube things of individually wrapped prunes
Dry Banana Chips - 3 Quart Jars
Dried Coconut - probably two cups worth
Graham Cracker Crumbs - about 2 cups
Graham Crackers - 2 sleeves
Chocolate Chips - about 1 cup
Pecan Caramels - probably 20 or so
Toasted Sliced Almonds - about 1/2 cup
Yellow Box Cake - 1
Devil's Food Box Cake - 1
Angel Food Cake - 1
Coconut Milk - 2 13.5 ounce cans
Evaporated Milk - 1 12 ounce can
Instant Chocolate Pudding - 1
Cook and Serve Chocolate Pudding - 1
Cherry Jell-O - 2
Strawberry Jell-O - 2
Raspberry Jell-O - 3
Orange Jell-O - 3
Corn Flakes - large box

The Coconut Milk was originally bought for a Curry dish I was planning on making but if anyone has a dessert recipe that utilizes it I might go that route. I bought the Corn Flakes to do a "fried" chicken thing but that will still leave me a ton of flakes so I was wondering if there were any desserts that utilize them.

I also have pecans, almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts in the freezer along with several pounds of blueberries. I also have Sweetened Condensed Milk and all kinds of canned fruit including pineapple and mandarin oranges.

I was thinking Magic Bars would wipe out a good chunk of the Graham Cracker Crumbs, Chocolate Chips, Coconut and some of the nuts but they really aren't my favorite so I'm open to other suggestions. And, neither of us are keen on the banana chips so I was wondering if I could re-hydrate them and make Banana Bread. Anyone ever tried doing that?

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
there is a corn flake cookie that is delish....never made it but had it a potlucks...... I make the magic bars with the nuts and coconut only they don't need the chocolate and hubby loves them..

take the chocolate cake, chocolate pudding and chocolate chips and bake a bundt cake that is chocaltely it will give u diabetes (lol) dust it confectionery sugar...

take your yellow cake mix and toss in the caramels...... and more graham cracker crumbs..

yummy

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
OMG, so many options.

Since it is that time of year I would take all that dried fruit (except the banana) and some of the nuts and make fruitcake. I know some people hate it but home-made with real fruit and spices is just soooo good! I do cupcakes.

I have a bag of coconut I'm going through, too. I use this recipe. Crispy Coconut Chicken Fingers | Our Best Bites

You can use yellow box cake on top of frozen (thawed) fruit to make cobbler. I use the Jiffy cake mix, I think if you used the larger sized brand you'd have enough for two cobblers.

Condensed milk + graham crackers= cheesecake. No-Bake Cheesecake - Martha Stewart Recipes

Reactions: MakeADollarHollar

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
You can make Rice Krispie bars with corn flakes instead of the Rice Krispies. Fast, simple, and everyone likes them.

Raisins can go in cereal, cookies, batter breads, all kinds of things.

I wouldn't be in a rush to use all that stuff up in just a few dishes. It's all expensive!

You could use up a lot of it making homemade Christmas gifts.

·
Registered
636 Posts
You sure do have a lot of dessert stuff.
Jello. Personally, I love those jello salad dishes made with diced veggies like carrots, celery, cucumber. I think you put cream cheese in some of them.

I've made these before and they were good:
Yogurt Bites

3 6-oz containers strawberry or blueberry yogurt
1 pkg strawberry or blueberry jello
Fresh berries for garnish

Mix yogurt and dry gelatin mix in 1-1/2-qt. microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 2 min.; stir. Microwave 2 to 3 min. or until gelatin is completely dissolved, stirring after each minute.
Spoon into 16 paper-lined mini muffin pan cups. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
Remove yogurt bites from liners; top with berries.

I've been making smoothies with frozen bananas, blueberries or strawberries and a little sweetened condensed milk. Not "healthy" but good. Made with a some Greek yogurt, a little milk, dash of vanilla.

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
I make raisin bread (half WW flour) and throw in whatever dried fruit and nuts I have around . DH like LOTS of raisins in it.

If anyone lives near Publix stores, they make something called Breakfast Bread that is the same idea, and it is very good.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the AWESOME suggestions! :)

I'm really good at looking at a few ingredients and figuring out what to do with them but when I was looking at everything I had I was going in to overload! :eek:

The Fruit Cake is one I'm definitely going to do! I may be one of only a handful of people on earth that actually likes the stuff but I've never made one from scratch and I especially like the cupcake idea! And the Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins...DUH!! I'm going to research the Corn Flake cookies and see what I can find...if nothing else I'll do what SD said and make the Rice Crispie Treats with the flakes and pass them out to the neighbor kids. :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have chopped up dates or any dried fruit on hand, crushed corn flakes, and added coconut flour or flakes then melted chocolate chips then mixed everything together. Then spoon out on wax paper and put in refrigerator to harden. They are similar to a candy bar or cookie and really no bake. Just add what you enjoy eating.

You can also make coconut cream like you would for a pie and eat it like a pudding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts