Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:box:

I put if off until the last moment ~ but I did it.

I made an inventory of all stockpiled pantry items - as well as HBA & cleaning.

the cleaning list is really small & simple.

I made the inventory sheet in Publisher, but I can't seem to attach it - it says "invalid file" :sigh:

but hey, I can tell you that I have 16 tubes of toothpaste LOL!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I promise NOT to buy any more body wash in 2011.

I promise NOT to buy any more pasta in 2011.

:giggle:

Reactions: everytim

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Way cool that you did it! It is quite an accomplishment. But, way bummer that you can't post it. I like to see other people's to see how they do it. Sometimes, you all have better ideas than I do.

I used Excel to do my inventory. I used the underline feature and made "lines". I have what it is on the left and then put tick marks on the "lines" for how many I have of that item. I have them grouped in categories like "canned", "baking", etc on the inventory sheet and I try to group the things in the pantry by category (mind you, I did say try).

Aww... The tick marks... I also don't do the fifth tick mark as a slash. I do the tick marks in groups of five. It was too hard to mark off what I had used if I used the fifth tick mark as a slash. I put a little dash on the middle of the tick mark (makes it look like a plus sign) when it is dedicated to a meal to help keep track of what has been "reserved" to be used.

I put up an inventory sheet (actually four sheets) on the garage door and some pencils. We mark off what we take out of the garage as it comes into the house.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Good for you. This is going to be one of my first projects for the new year. I think I have about the same amount of toothpaste as you do.:toothy: I'm not computer smart so plain old pen and paper will have to work for my worksheet.;)

Cat

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Great idea. I'm not disciplined enough to keep a running inventory, but I think I'll do one for the beginning of the year for meal planning purposes, like happymomof5. I have some stuff I need to use up. For example, a whole large container of fermented black beans. I can't even imagine what I'll use them for (or why I bought them in the first place).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Great idea. I'm not disciplined enough to keep a running inventory, but I think I'll do one for the beginning of the year for meal planning purposes, like happymomof5. I have some stuff I need to use up. For example, a whole large container of fermented black beans. I can't even imagine what I'll use them for (or why I bought them in the first place).
Here is recipe maybe you can use the beans for.
Susage and Wild Rice
1 package (6.2 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
Directions
In a large skillet, prepare rice according to package directions. Add beans, corn and sausage. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Okay, went through the pantry, and MOST of the stuff in there is normal, and I think I can find a use for it. A lot of various rice mixes, which is weird because I am kind of a plain short-grain white rice kind of person. Quinoa - that will take some pre-planning. Capers. Sweet rice flour (although it has an intriguing recipe for cocoa mochi on the side of the box). Lots of bean thread noodles and garbanzo beans, for whatever reason. CANS of garbanzo beans. I think that was during my hummus phase. Mmmm...hummus...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Excellent, because I also have a package of long grain & wild rice mix that I wasn't sure what to do with!! :) At the risk of sounding naive, however, what is Mexicorn?
Delmontco Vegetable has a can of corn that is a mexican mix. That is what I use. It is yellow corn with the red peppers in it. Itsn't hot. you can use regular corn if you want.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mmm.... I love hummus.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still can't make a publisher document post, so I'll just copy/paste so you can see a little bit. It's in abc order. I haven't filled in exp dates yet, but I'm working on it.

There are seperate inventory sheets for HBA & cleaning supplies.

Date purchased/ exp date/ item/ description / pantry total/ comments

1/1/11 Brownie Mixes 5
1/1/11 BBQ sauce 16 ox jars 3
1/1/11 Broth Swanson Canned Broth 9
1/1/11 Cake Mixes Various 10
1/1/11 Capri Sun Juice Pouches 10 ct box 15
1/1/11 Cereal various 41
1/1/11 Chili Canned 5
1/1/11 Cookie Mixes Various 22
1/1/11 Coffee 12 oz bags 4
1/1/11 Helpers Tuna/Hamburger/Chicken 10
1/1/11 Heinz 57 Sauce 1 *purchase when on sale
1/1/11 Hot Sauce 1 *purchase when on sale
1/1/11 Icing Cake Icing—Various 7
1/1/11 Jelly grape 4
1/1/11 Ketchup 20 oz 3
1/1/11 Marinade Ken’s Marinade & Sauce 9
1/1/11 Mayo 3
1/1/11 Oatmeal 3
1/1/11 Oil Vegi/Olive/Corn 6
1/1/11 Pancake Mix 4

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1/1/11 Pasta Spaghetti Style 13
1/1/11 Pasta Penne, Elbow, Etc 13
1/1/11 Pasta Sauce Ragu—Various 9
1/1/11 Peanut Butter 16 oz jars 8
1/1/11 Popcorn Microwave, 10 ct box 3
1/1/11 Potatoes Instant—large box 6
1/1/11 Potatoes Instant—small pouches 2
1/1/11 Rice boxed 15
1/1/11 Rice bags 6
1/1/11 Rice pouches 2
1/1/11 Salad Dressing various 5
1/1/11 Soup Chuncky/Ready to eat 33
1/1/11 Soup Cream Styles (cooking) 17
1/1/11 Taco Dinner Kit 2
1/1/11 Tea Bags Lipton (100 ct box) 7
1/1/11 Tomatoes canned 14

it really does look better when it's in it's publisher form :)

this is the first time I've done one, so I'm happy with it. I gave myself a column for comments; such as to purchase more when on sale, or it's also a good spot to track how many leave the pantry.

I haven't decided if I'll update monthly or quarterly. I think once each quarter would be sufficeint.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I did go through the toothpaste and deoderant stockpile since they will go on sale really cheap in January. Seems I have more than enough for the year. Grant it, I will probably pickup a couple more if I can get them for free or just for pennies. I also have enough detergent and dish washing liquid. Will stock up on body wash and frabric softner sheets.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I always seem to get more "men's" HBA for free.

I'm outnumbered here 3 to 1, so it's not that I mind using 'mens' body wash, but I really don't want to use 'mens' deodorant.

anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I picked up some men's travel size deoderant by accident once. I smelled like Old Spice the whole trip. Luckily, I was outside most of the time, so everybody probably just assumed they were catching a whiff of the guy next to me (or closest to me at the time the Old Spice whiff hit them).

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I did a household one but not a food pantry one yet. My food inventory is pretty weak anyhow right now. I could probably list off my head what we have in the house for food.

If it makes ya' feel any better I couldn't upload mine either at first.

If you look at the "attachment Key" list of files it lists all the extensions that are accepted.

So here is what you do: open your spreadsheet and take a screen shot of it (click Print Screen button on keyboard) Then open Paint (I'm assuming you are using Windows) and go to Edit....Paste. Save that Paint picture. It saves as a .bmp which is an accepted format to upload.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.