Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is up for this? I need to do this so badly. My larders are full and I have car insurance due in July. My only purchases should be milk, eggs, and lunchmeat. Who will join me?

Edited to add: fresh fruit and veggies for me as well, cj!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I will! I need to use what is my pantry before I go and buy a bunch more. I have to take Dakota to the dentist in July which will cost us AFTER insurance pays $1055. So I am definately in! I shouldn't have to buy either. Just milk, bread, etc.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm in! I've needed to do this for some time. All I should need to buy is cereal, milk, baby formula and fruit!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i need to do this too all io need is milk,bread,fruit,veggies and lunch meat

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
oh boy definitly count me in! I just totaled up my receipts for the last week or so, and I sooooo need to cut back next month!
The only pantry item I'll get IF it's cheap enough is green beans, I'm totally out of those.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I am in. July and August are tough months around here because our utility bills seem to soar in the summer. DH cousin is suppose to give us some venison so we should have plenty of meat in the freezer and the pantry is full so I should only have to buy perishables.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW I'm excited about all the responses! We can make this fun and challenging, especially towards the end of the month, lol.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
same here kathy, with our utility bill :eek: I never thought about it before but cutting back on groceries those months to compensate is a great idea!

But Danielle, I HAVE to ask now :D What are 'larders'?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
good to know! :D I would have wondered about that all day if I hadn't had asked ;)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Danielle, how are we going to do this? Will we have new threads saying what we've used, what recipes we've made because of only using our pantry, etc? Just wondering.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I would propose that we submit any inventive types of meals we've come up with - or just good old staples that others may find helpful during the challenge. We could also begin posting what we buy for groceries, with an emphasis being on limiting purchases all together. Other ideas?

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Thanks for asking that question Heather. I was wondering too....lol!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I'm in!!! This is great! :) I was just saying to my dh, at lunch that I was planning on liquidating our freezer and pantry...isn't that a coincidence that you propose this challenge!

I'll be buying only, milk, bread, and fresh fruit and veggies, as needed. Exceptionally, I may buy lost leaders, with my coupons...only.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cj, I have no idea. Let's just wing it, or if someone else comes up with something creative. Posting what we made is a great idea.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I'm in! I'm going to try not to buy any bread other than hamburger and hot dog buns and bagels. I'll be making the rest. I need to use up lots of fruit and meat that are in the freezers. DH has told me he's going to try hunting this Fall and is determined to get a deer, so I need to make room.;) I've been able to cut my grocery bill way down this month (so I can have the cash for our vacation) and want to do it again next month (I need to get some more curriculum for the boys).:) :smball:

·
27,948 Posts
Sign me up! Just payed home owners & car insurance. Car was fixed today at the tune of $240 and dd will be starting college & other people that want my money.
Glad to have my stockpile.
Truth be said it's kinda fun to plan meals around what I have.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Me too! I wonder if I can do this. I'll need 2 cases of diapers, bread, paper towels for baby wipes (or I could use up the Pampers Wipes I got for free), I'll have to check for sure. I will buy beef roasts if they are on sale cheap enough, and whatever I can get with coupons free or dirt cheap though to maintain my "stock".

Edited to add: Oh! I should be able to get peas, tomatoes and onions out of dh's garden. We also have turnips and beets I could try on dd.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
OMG...I am SO in! For a variety of reasons that I will go into at a later date, we need to start saving, saving, saving...so, I'm in. Only milk and fresh produce for us.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts