Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
second use - cardboard tubes

How do you reuse carboard tp and paper towel tubes?

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
paper towel, seran wrap, etc tubes are great for rolling up christmas lights onto. keeps them from being a tangles mess next christmas.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I roll my knitting patterns in them when I'm working on one and get it out only as necessary. Keeps it from getting creased!

Apart from that the dog loves them to chew up!:toothy:

Julia

·
Registered
28 Posts
Paper towel tubes are just the right size to store extension cords in (as mentioned above), and I also use them to store odds and ends of ribbon and lace (wrap around tube and secure end with pin).

I'll have to remember the Christmas lights storing idea! Good one!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Keep or toss: empty toilet rolls

I usually toss mine. In the past, I have kept them for the preschool teacher but I have done it in a few years.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i don't keep em.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i am keeping them at the moment for my 3 year old DS's craft projects, but even then i toss most of them in the recycle bin

·
Registered
164 Posts
Toilet rolls are great things, have lots of uses.

Good for stuffing your (just washed) stockings and pantyhose in - stops them getting all muddled up in your drawers. My kids decorated a whole heap with wrapping paper and sparkly twinkly little stickers - and will present a couple to each (female) relative this Christmas. Cost? Almost zip.

They are also good to raise vegetable seedlings in. Put in seed raising mix and your seed. Place filled toilet roll along with all its neighbours in a kitty litter tray and pour a little water in the bottom. When seedlings are a decent height, plant them in your vegie patch, toilet roll and all. The cardboard is an excellent source of boron and will break down over time and not cause transplant shock to your seedlings.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I stuff them with candies or little bitty things and wrap them up with a tie on each end ~ cute xmas gift for kids!

most of them go in the recycle bin.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have always tossed them, but the last month or so saved two or three to roll leftover quilt binding on to use for later small projects.

·
Registered
164 Posts
They make good rodent toys.

Organise your power leads: Slackly fold each cable back and forth a few times and push all the loops through a cardboard tube. Depending on the thickness of your cable, you can get a few in each tube.
With the longer kitchen roll tubes, you can store a bunch of carrier bags inside each tube.

cover both ends with newspaper and rubber bands after half filling with pistaciao nut shells to make a percussion instrument

A cool and creative way to make a unique envelope. Without breaking it, you can flatten it and address it, then staple or (thoroughly!) tape the ends shut. As long as the postage and address are correct, it will go through the postal service as intended.

I’ve used them as molds for making giant crayons. I separated old crayons into basic primary colors, melted them down and poured the wax into the tubes with waxed paper on the ends, held with elastic. There was a little leakage, but not much. This uses up old crayons well, too.

Use them to make homemade chrismas crackers. cut into thin bits and decorated as serviette rings.

Use them as the body for home made dolls the kids love to make them.
Pipecleaner arms and legs wool for hair.

From www.recyclethis.co.uk

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I toss 99.99% of them. But, my little dog thinks they are great. She thinks they are called Tootsi Rolls. We hold one up and sing "Tootsie roll, tootsie roll, let me see your tootsie roll" to her and she just goes bananas. Then we give her the roll and she chews on it for a little while then it gets tossed.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Mine gets tossed to the cat to play with, then when the dogs find it, it gets shredded then thrown out! LOL

1 - 20 of 53 Posts