Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe other people use rags, cloth napkins, whatnot but for a single comparison, I'm going to share wash cloths and paper towels because those are the two I have current prices for.

Bulk package of paper towels.
Bounty 12 big roll select a size $15.99
24 package of inexpensive wash cloths $5

Wash cloths can be reused and are small so don't take up much room in the washer or dryer. If you buy white, they can be bleached.

I use them a lot here. I like them for cleaning. I also use microfiber cloths and cloth napkins for meals, but couldn't live without my wash cloths.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i was actually thinking about this earlier

i can see getting rid of them (paper towels) for the most part, but i'd still want some for things like absorbing the oil from the fried chicken

·
2,688 Posts
I like to keep some cheap paper towels around for use in the kitchen.
For the real messy things.

I been cutting up old towels into small rags to use, about the size of a washcloth. If the job is real messy, I just throw them into the trash.
Not putting kitchen grease in the washer if I don't have to.

When using paper towels to drain french fries......use newspaper under, and then 1 or 2 paper towels to come in contact with the food. Less paper towels to waste :)

I use white washcloths for napkins. Yes on easy to bleach :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I use wash cloths as much as possible. I save paper towels for the really icky stuff. A roll lasts me a long time.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
The only roll of paper towels I have is because I could get it free. I don't know what I would do with out my cut up towels and cloth napkins. Bleach is great for the towels and the colored napkins I use oxi-clean or a cheaper version. Also, cloth hankies have saved on buying kleenex's.

It really feels great not to worry about coupons and sales for paper towels.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I haven't bought paper towels in probably 10 years but I never really added up what that saves. Despite the fact most of my dish cloths are pretty stained I guess I'll keep using them.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
How do they compare to sponges? I used to use sponges to wash the dishes. One day I ran out and didn't want to run to the store. I had just a few cloth dish rags in the house. I started using them and haven't bought a dish sponge since. I figure it is much better for the environment. I am sure it is cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I bought a large pack of paper towels several years ago and have only used a few rolls. I use a washcloth to wipe the counters and when they get ratty they become my cleaning clothes for the bathroom, dusting, etc. I rarely use paper towels.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do they compare to sponges? I used to use sponges to wash the dishes. One day I ran out and didn't want to run to the store. I had just a few cloth dish rags in the house. I started using them and haven't bought a dish sponge since. I figure it is much better for the environment. I am sure it is cheaper in the long run.
I don't use sponges. I use a dish brush (bristle not sponge type). Sponges would be hard to calculate, too. I think some people would use them far longer than I would. I hear people popping sponges into the dishwasher or microwave to wash them.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I also use a dish brush. Make sure to put yours in the dishwasher each time you run it to kill the germs on it :)

Andrea

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like to keep some cheap paper towels around for use in the kitchen.
For the real messy things.

I been cutting up old towels into small rags to use, about the size of a washcloth. If the job is real messy, I just throw them into the trash.
Not putting kitchen grease in the washer if I don't have to.

When using paper towels to drain french fries......use newspaper under, and then 1 or 2 paper towels to come in contact with the food. Less paper towels to waste :)

I use white washcloths for napkins. Yes on easy to bleach :)
thanks! now i have something to do with that newspaper i buy for coupons and throw away :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
I buy dollar store brand coffee filters, 200 count for a dollar and use them to drain grease on. Bottom of chicken, bacon, and such. They work great, and they also don't leave the little bits of paper stuck to things.
I also use wash rags instead of paper towels, the old ones from the bathroom become dish rags, old dish rags become cleaning rags. Old cloth diapers are the best for cleaning rags and can many times be picked up at yard sales, or thrift stores. A little bleach and a good wash and they are hard to beat.
Old T-shirts become grease rags for the car, yard work,
the lawn mower and that way you can use and toss. No worries about all the grease in the washer.
I see the savings over paper towels being huge, you just have to think about one use and its trash.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
i was actually thinking about this earlier

i can see getting rid of them (paper towels) for the most part, but i'd still want some for things like absorbing the oil from the fried chicken
My MIL uses brown paper bags or even newspapers for "draining" fried chicken.
Just another couple of ideas.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I remember as a small child my mom carring around a plastic bag with wet & soapy wash cloths to wipe us kids' hands with.
Back in the 70's there wasn't such a thing as "wipies".

Also along these same lines, for a cheap alternative to buying regular cloth napkins, go to the store and buy a package of "flour sack" towels for around $5.00.
Take them and cut them into 1/4's and hem around the sides, you now have 24 napkins for around $5.00=.20 each.

If you have a sewing machine it doesn't take long to stitch them up.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The only roll of paper towels I have is because I could get it free. I don't know what I would do with out my cut up towels and cloth napkins. Bleach is great for the towels and the colored napkins I use oxi-clean or a cheaper version. Also, cloth hankies have saved on buying kleenex's.

It really feels great not to worry about coupons and sales for paper towels.
You can preserve your roll of paper towels even more by taking a serrated knife and cutting them in half, down to the roll.

Put them up as you normally would, but now when you go to grab one, you'll only be grabbing 1/2 of one.
It'll make the roll last twice as long.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
After 38 years of marriage, I've had lots of years worth of old toweling (bath and kitchen) that got shifted from general use, to use for general clean-up. The ultimate form of recycling.

I keep paper napkins collected from eating out to use instead of paper towels. We have a favorite restaurant we go to about once a month with friends that brings at least 25-30 extra, really large, paper napkins (I guess we look like slobs....), and I always tuck the extra napkins into my purse and take them home for a secondary use. Otherwise they would get tossed into the trash, unused.

Word of caution about micro-fiber towels (which I think are beyond marvelous).... Never use fabric softener, softener sheets, or bleach on the towels. Avoid washing them with other things that produce lint. If your microfiber towels aren't performing well, you've probably compromised the fibers and "agent" that gives them high-absorbancy. They will also last longer if you air dry them after laundering.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I use rags for cleaning (old tshirts & what not), but for the most part I use paper towels. I know it's not the most frugal thing to do, but we have cats & they tend to spit up hairballs...can't imagine using something I would wipe my hands on to pick up hairballs yuk!

Reactions: momof2joys

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I wad up newspaper and use to clean out skillets, bowls, etc. I keep a roll of towel paper on the counter, maybe go thru 1 every few months. But, I use my bucket of rags. I use cloth napkins. Some were given to me, others from the Goodwill, and some are $Store dishcloths. I use toilet paper as Kleenex along with cloth hankies.

·
Registered
442 Posts
We got rid of the paper towels (and kitchen sponges) for good about three years ago and haven't missed them. We don't have pets, so there aren't many icky messes in our house. For baked on grease, I use a stainless steel scrubbie.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts