Frugal Village Forums banner

Parents can now control cell phone use

768 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  happycat 
#1 ·
I know some people will think that this new tool is a invasion of a teens privacy. But i think its a great idea. In my book teens have a certain amount or privacy, till there 18 then they can have all the privacy they want. I hope the new thing will help with so many grown men chasing after young girls and the parents have no clue.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/afp/usitsocietytelecomautotaserces

#2 ·
I too am one of the believers that teens have no privacy, but I take it a stretch further...if they still live in my house when they are 18 same rules apply as before the birthday.

My kids didn't have cell phones and if I had teens today they probably wouldn't have cell phones either.

#3 ·
My daughter thats 14 does not have a cell phone. She only hangs out with a couple girls and 90% of the time she is home working on her art.

#4 ·
It is an every changing world and you need to do what you feel is best for your children.

That said I have come to think invasion of privacy is getting to be a really lame term since there are so many ways that everyone can make what is happening with themselves or to others very public. Such as phone cameras, youtube, myspace, e-mail. Sure not everyone does this but it seems to be more acceptable to do this now on an individual level.

#5 ·
I feel that they should be allowed some privacy, but we still need to be the parent and monitor their activity. My 16 year old son got texting on his phone last summer. Although I can't monitor the content of the messages, I can log in to our account online & see who he's texting with, and when.

This did create some problems in the beginning (he felt I was invading his privacy). I explained that when I was a teen, my friends had to call the house to talk to me, so my folks could monitor calls that way. If this (texting & cell) is the way he chooses to communicate with his friends, then this is the wayI will monitor who he's talking to.

I don't question every single number on his call/text log, but when I see a pattern or the same # a lot of times, I ask him who it is. I also explain that it's for his own safety too. So far, we've had but a couple of arguments but it's working out OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.