Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents informed me yesterday that they'd arranged payment on my old credit card debt: without my consent or knowledge. I'm livid.

I racked the debt, not much ($15k or so) on food and gas expendetures during a period of underemployment. The accounts have been charged off and are beyond the NH statute of limitations for collections (4 years).

If I were to arranged a deal at this point, it would have been a lump sum payment resulting in a clean credit report.

It was illegal for the collections agencies to discuss my debt with my parents. How can I rectify this situation? I'm 39, have many working years ahead of me, and would much prefer to see my parents retire.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It was illegal for the collections agencies to discuss my debt with my parents. How can I rectify this situation? I'm 39, have many working years ahead of me, and would much prefer to see my parents retire.
since this was done illegally, without your consent, you must have the law on your side. Can you check with Legal Aid for advice?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
When you talked to your parents, what did they say? Do they realize what they have done to your credit now? Do they realize they aren't paying off your original debt but only keeping a sleezy collections agency in business because they are the ones who get to keep all the money?

I have little hope that there is much you can do at this point. You may decide to pay back your parents for the money they sent then negotiate a final pay-off with the collection agency just to have it all documented. Horrid, I know. I hate when I see crooks get the better of us. I also recommend you discuss the issue with your state's consumer protection agency. This might fall under some kind of elder abuse or business fraud law and the collection agency can get nailed for their illegal practices.

In the future, if your parents get phone calls like that, they need to deny knowing you and repeatedly ask the caller to never call again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm sure they had well intentions. But yeah... isn't that breaking a privacy law talking to your parents? Was their name anywhere attached to your account? Probably some sleazy bill collector got ahold of them, gave them a long spill, they were hoping to help but instead got suckered. This should be illegal. I'd look in to it for sure!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts