Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread about losing my "passion" and zest for life.So I would like to all help each other stay accountable in striving for that passionate life that we all want. Your passion can be a hobby, a career,relationships,ect.
What did you do today to add some passion to your life?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I got my favorite candy and ate it on the way home from the store.I did that so I didn't have to share or feel guilty about not getting any for my kids.
Also, my daughter and I went to my craft room,where she has an art desk and I have a craft table and I worked on hairbows and she drew pictures.While were down here we listened to some really sappy girly music and loved every minute of it! :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what did you do today to increase passion and "zest" in your life?I think I am going to order a book on my kindle that's totally for pleasure.I think I'll order the new Nicholas Sparks book. ;) What steps are you taking toward happiness?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Today I made homemade laundry detergent so saving us money in the long run. Ialso made homemade raspberry Chocolate chip & Pb cookies for dh :)
I filled up the birdfeeders before the snowstorm comes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Trisha: I used to make my own homemade laundry detergent also. I noticed that my clothes were not smelling fresh? In fact, they were stinky. I still have a large container in my laundry closet for emergencies. I wonder if there is a way to make the clothes smell better? I have tried putting essential oils on a cloth with the laundry and that didn't work. Anyone have any ideas? I used the fels naptha laundry soap.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Today I pulled out my baggie of seeds and read a gardening book cover-to-cover. It's a method I've heard of but never used, and having read it all, I'm still not going to use it, but I'm glad I at least looked into it!

I think the idea of "passion" in life has a lot to do with doing the things that feel "authentic" to you, and for me, gardening (badly) is part of that picture. The method I read about is fine, I'm sure, but it didn't ping on my authentic-o-meter.

And since the weather was nice today, I let our four chickens out to run around, and put all but one of our rabbits (the other is due to have babies next week and just really wants to relax in her hutch) out to play in their portable run.

I can't claim that my yard will ever be the garden of eden, or that we'll go self-sufficient on our tiny lot... but it feels right being more in sync with nature.

On the complete flip-side of that, I discovered the other day that our local store was selling Little Debbie Marshmallow Supremes (haven't seen those ANYWHERE in YEARS) so I bought a box, with got promptly inhaled (I did have help...) Today while getting milk, I decided I'd get two boxes this time... but everyone else must be as excited to see them as I am, because there were only 3 boxes left on the shelf. So I bought them all. Hopefully the managers will notice they are a hot item and get more... but if not, oh well. Not-sharing the deliciousness felt wonderfully, deliciously, AUTHENTICALLY selfish, and I'm NOT sorry... and yes, I'm aware that you can't get much more out-of-sync with nature than Little Debbies... but see, THAT's what we call BALANCE ;D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am loving all these responses! Its so neat to see what we all see as our "passion" I think that what brings you true joy in life is "passionate" for each individual.I think its especially cool how they can be small things but your enjoyment of them is the passion.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
One of the twins and I have started playing "Dark Manor". He rarely plays his game. I sit and poke at the "money making" machines on both of our games while I am watching tv. I am ADHD and I can't just sit and watch tv and I haven't been in the mood to do other things while I watch tv. And, just sitting and poking at my game just doesn't give me enough to do.

Anyway, I have sat and poked at it so long (and he plays it so rarely) that we got it up above 1,000,000 silver coins (and around 130 gold bars) on his game. It was really funny because I was very close a little before bedtime, so I took his game and poked at it while I was doing some schoolwork. I kept IMing him with the new total. When it got close, he came and watched it go above a million. It was the high point of our day and then we all went to bed. (Yes, we do have a sad, boring life.)

Side note: All of us have been doing a ton of schoolwork. Everyone is sort of sick of looking at schoolbooks. Getting above a million was a fun change of pace for a few minutes.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what did you do today that way "passionate?" I was at an appointment today and the girl asked me if I was busy today.I said "no actually" and meant it! :) I think about how many times I make "busy" stuff fro myself to do and how many times I am not even busy at all and rush through something when that is just silly and leaves me feeling upset. Tonight I am going to a book signing and out to dinner with my sister. Can't wait! :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Ok, right up there on the nerd-o-meter with our friend who is a Dark Manor Millionaire... today I passionately stopped my car TWICE on the way to run errands because I saw MCR points in people's recycling bins. I wound up with 80 points, that I passionately entered on the site, along with 20 that were legitimately mine (though I got that soda for free with coupons)...and maxed out my points for the week. Depending on how the promos go next year... that's redeemable for about $5-10 in stuff.

I am passionate about making what I have go further, and MCR has really paid off for me in the past. Yesterday I booked a plane ticket for Hubs using $100 in southwest GCs that Coke gave me for free over the past 2 Christmases... I had to pay the other $98, of course, but still, that's a plane ticket for half-price all because I enter codes off the packaging of stuff I'd buy anyway (or didn't buy at ALL)

That was about it for passion today. We were snowed in, so spent the day bumming around (passionately avoiding housework!!!) ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I was driving home from dropping my little boy off at school and there was a little fox on the side of the road!It can be years before I see one so it is something special.I stopped my car and watched him till he got out of the road.I even stopped a snow plow driver and told him to watch out for him so he doesn't get run over.My little girl was with me and she said "mom you should have taken a picture with your phone!" I thought about it but thought that I am glad I didn't because I was fully "present" and just enjoying seeing him on my own without needing to "save the memory" or post it on facebook or whatever. I told my daughter."Its cool because you can go years without seeing a fox and thats something special and something that just you and I shared today." That was my passionate thing for today. Seeing a fox,just enjoying the moment and sharing that moment with my daughter. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Our sixteenth AeroGarden arrived last night, and today I enjoyed planting Chinese cabbage in it. This is a new crop for me, so I don't know if it's going to go well or not, but it's always fun to watch our gardens to see what comes up and how well it grows.

I've wanted to learn to tat for many years now, since we were first married almost 38 years ago. I did experiment with shuttle tatting back then, and managed to almost complete a flower, which I recently found when clearing out my sewing room. But back then, there was no YouTube to help me learn new things, and since tatting is not one of the most popular crafts, I had no one to learn from then either. All I had was a how-to book with instructions and diagrams I found hard to follow. But I always figured someday I would get back to it. Two or three years ago, I discovered needle tatting. It looked a lot easier so I bought the needles for it, but haven't had time to get back to it till now. Lately I've been working on a doily and enjoying it a lot. My work is not perfect by any means, but I'm having such fun learning and creating with this new technique. I have no doubt now I'll eventually be able to master it. I bought some books online that are supposed to be here today or tomorrow, and I'm excited about seeing them to find out what fun projects are going to be in my future.

I'm also learning Tunisian crochet, and finding that fun as well. Much easier than tatting, too!

I love saving money, repurposing, and using what we have already to get the things we need. Lately I've been working on decluttering my sewing room and with a lot of thought, so far have found everything I need to make new storage spaces and organizers right here at home. I've utilized cat litter jugs to make a storage system in some cabinets I had been wanting to replace because nothing fit into them. Now there is very little wasted space in them. I found an unwanted bookcase out in our cabin that fits nicely on top of a wardrobe, so instantly made it into a "hutch" to nearly double the storage. I've changed locations of other storage so it functions better. Every time I try something and it works, I'm so tickled, so I guess I could call that a passion.

Today I've been happy working on my tatting. I made a huge mistake, but was able to correct it in an unorthodox way that doesn't look too horrible. I'm passionately looking forward to finishing the round that will correct that mistake, so I can move on to working with the pattern in the correct way again.

Another passion with the tatting is the little bag I bought a while back at GW because the project bag I had just was not cutting it. I shoved it in the dysfunctional cabinet in the sewing room and forgot all about it till lately, when I moved my tatting stuff into it. It's going to work out just perfectly! It's a little thing but I get so excited when I can find just the right thing for the purpose. And to make it all even better, as I'm sorting thought my sewing room I'm coming up with small tools to outfit the bag, such as a corsage pin to aid with picking knots, a jeweler's loupe to help with same, little tubes to hold short needles for whipstitching the thread ends, and one of the best things, a flat tin that will hold and protect the flimsy plastic tubes with my tatting needles in them, which fits in one of the bag's pockets as if it was made to go there.

I've been on a roll lately and a lot of things are making me happy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what it's all about Spirit Deer! It doesn't matter what it is that you are passionate about.Its all about doing it and adding self love and happiness to your life.I think the small things are the best because we all can do at least one small thing everyday to add to our personal passions.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
**giggles** I popped bubbles. I have a "thing" about the bubbles that you wrap fragile things in. I have a few sheets of the large bubbles that we got in shipments of things. I have a sheet by my desk on the floor. The pathway is always shadowed and I can't see if I will hit bubble or not. That is part of the fun, if I will pop a bubble or not when I step. When I pop a bubble, I always let out the giggle (my guys say that it is an evil giggle). Today, I popped bubbles several times.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts