Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a GREAT deal on pasta...so I stocked up....ALOT...all kinds and sizes. Hubby is already tired of the normal pasta and sauce thing...and we're trying to stay healthy so I'm not making my cream and butter filled carbonara or anything like that. Anyone have any ideas of something new to do with pasta? Preferably cheap. We recently got married so we're trying to be frugal newlyweds. Something baked maybe? Casseroles? Neither of us are picky eaters...he's just bored. :smhelp:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
pasta is super versatile. you can make an italian pot roast and serve it over pasta. beef stew in CP over pasta. what about good old oil and garlic over pasta w/ fresh parsley and fresh basil thrown in at serving time?

take 2 cans of progresso lentil soup and mix in 1 small can of V8 juice. simmer. add a bit of hot sauce if you desire. boil some pasta and serve the soup mixture over it.

sautee any vegetables you have in oil and garlic and serve over pasta..wala...dinner is served!

pasta salad

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I love pasta. I'd eat it every night if I could. The Taste of Home website has some great pasta recipes, so does Ragu's.

We make a pizza casserole every now and again--spiral-y noodles, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms all mixed together and baked.

You can even use it to make a simple pasta salad. Add a chunk of grilled chicken to it and it would make a nice lunch.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We have a delicious garlic mixture (it's called Johnny's Garlic Spread and a hundred times better than plain garlic salt/garlic powder) we sprinkle over pasta that has been tossed in extra virgin olive oil. Sometimes we add some raw broccoli, cauliflower, carrots or any other crunchy veggie to the mix. I am a lover of shrimp and corn and will add those to it also.

Veggie soup is good with some elbow noodles added.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I make a baked pasta that is so easy. Put a couple of handfuls of pasta in a casserole dish. Add browned crumbled burger. Dump in a jar of pasta sauce...fill sauce jar with water and add it in too. Cover with foil and cook @ 375 for about an hour...uncover and top with mozarella cheese...bake for 15 min or till cheese is melted and getting a little golden. Easy peasy and pretty darn good!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since I can't figure out how to edit my post I'll just have to post here that in my earlier post I meant to say UNCOOKED pasta.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Carbonara doesn't have to be heavy. For two people I make it with one egg and a splash of cream, and a little chicken stock. It doesn't have to be thick and heavy like alfredo sauce.

I also like to put pasta shapes into vegetable soup and make veg heavy pasta salads.

I posted a recipe for bolognese sauce in the recipes folder. It is a meat sauce, and it has a little tomato in it but it is not tomato-y like a traditional red sauce. Guys like it because it is meaty.

For big shells or tubes you can make stuffing out of spinach and mushrooms, a little sausage, etc. and just put a little white sauce over the top to keep them from drying out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This may sound weird and gross but man we like this stuff! I may just make this for tonights dessert!

OLD FASHION MACARONI PUDDING

½ - 1 cup macaroni noodle
2 cups milk
¼ - ½ cup sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup sultanas
½ - 1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp nutmeg

-cook macaroni al dante, drain well
-place in bowl and mix in milk, sugar, eggs, sultanas and vanilla
-pour mixture into a greased baking dish
-sprinkle with nutmeg and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for approx. 40-45 minutes until set

Tip: Stir after about 20 minutes so ensure that the raisins are distributed well and not all settled at the bottom. Also the amounts listed for the mac noodles and milk as well as the vanilla can be played with depending on taste. I like mine more custardy so I tend to use more than ½ cup but less than a full cup of noodles and sometimes do up the milk at touch…

Reactions: Gotonenerveleft

·
4,028 Posts
We just had pasta with creamed spinach for its sauce.

I made a white sauce (2 T butter, 2 T flour and 2 cups milk) and added a 10 ounce box of chopped spinach that was thawed and drained. It was incredibly good and will be on our menu again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What exactly are sultanas?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks so much...I had no clue what they were....thinking maybe they were some kind of cookie she crumbled in.....lol...sounds like a good name for a cookie!

·
4,028 Posts
Sultana Biscuits Cookies) Recipe - Food.com - 128871

Ask and ye shall receive!

* 4 ounces butter
* 4 ounces sugar
* 1 tablespoon golden syrup
* 1 tablespoon milk
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 8 ounces flour
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup sultana

Directions:

Prep Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 25 mins

1 Place first 5 ingredients in a saucepan and melt together slowly.
2 Add in the flour, salt, vanilla essence and sultanas.
3 Mix well, then place teaspoonfuls rolled into balls, on a cold ungreased tray.
4 Flatten gently with a fork and bake in a moderate oven 350'F/180'C for 10 - 15 minutes.
5 Cool on a wire rack.

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Pasta doesn't have to be the main dish either........I use a LOT of pasta for salads.........any shape will work.

If you take lunches you can make a pretty hardy cold pasta salad with tuna, chopped chicken, or shrimp, or fake crab meat.......toss in some veggies, a dressing (whatever you like --doesn't have to be a creamy one) and call it good.

I am not real fond of cooked peas but I use a LOT of the frozen petite peas in pasta salads.......like them then. Don't cook them..........just toss them in frozen.........the 'petite peas' are better IMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.