Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have 3/4 can of pasta sauce. What would you use it for? Cant be spagetti though....

thanks,

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
pizza or meatball subs

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
When I have extra sauce I throw it in the freezer and add it to whatever the next time I'm cooking it if I can't use it right away.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Make spinach rice cakes to put the sauce on. You saute some onion and 2 cloves of garlic in 2 T of oil. Then add in 10oz thawed frozen spinach and 2 1/4 c water. Bring to a boil. Add 1 cup rice, cover, and cook 20 min. Put in bowl, add one egg and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Mix and then spoon out balls of rice mixture to smash into patties. Place on greased baking sheet and cook 20 min. Pour spaghetti sauce over them and sprinkle on some more cheese if you want. Yummy. We just ate them tonight to use up my sauce.

·
27,948 Posts
I freeze my extra sauce (jar, can, homemade) in half cup measures to use on pizza dough. I place a regular cheap zip baggie in custard cup, add 1/2 c , freeze, then pop out and zip and put into a large freezer bag. To use I pick a pack out of freezer, pop out of bag into a custard cup and thaw. I used to sometimes have a problem with sauce getting furry because it was forgotten, now that doesn't happen & it's nice to have on hand in just the right amount whenever the pizza craving hits.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
I freeze leftover tomato sauce in flat zippy bags. Then I can break off however much I need for those annoying recipes that call for 2 tablespoons of tomato.

You can add it to vegetable soup. You can use it for Spanish Rice. You can freeze it for a quick emergency one person meal. It's a great addition to a crockpot braising sauce for beef or pork.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the ideas...I think I'm gonna try it in Chili this time.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I always add my "bits" of spaghetti sauce in the fridge to whatever I am cooking (if it works in it). In fact, I made chilimac the other day and used the last quarter of a large jar of spaghetti sauce in it (and two cans of diced tomatoes). I figure that it is all tomato products and the chili powder makes it not taste "Italiany".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.