Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Union meeting today - on the table is a 6% paycut for teachers - as all the prices around us are going up. Belt tightening time - again. Will find out details laterr as I couldn't go to the meeting.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Sorry to hear that MM. It is so rough everywhere! :hugz:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Oh Maui :hugz: I'm sorry.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
So sorry, MM. :hugz:

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I'm so sorry. Didn't they cut one day of work quite awhile back and the pay to go with it?
Let us know and again so very sorry.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Maui, I know how hard it is to live on the island. Everything is more expensive there! I'm sorry that you are being hurt by the budget crunch.....

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mahalo friends. Last year we had furlough days - 14 I think - no pay. Now we will be having a cut in pay and have to work the full schedule. Not that I'm complaining - I'm thankful that I have a job with benefits and the opportunity to pick up extra money teaching the severe students during the summer. No other state employees have had their salaries cut so far - they always go for the teachers and then complaing that we don't have great teachers nor good test results.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thinking of you MM. Our district had meetings last night and are doing a lot of cutting of staff in less essential learning opportunities. Our state also hasn't decided but we may be getting 0% allowable growth. Meaning no new monies into all districts plus they are trying to take away some of our collective bargaining rights. (Health insurance issues) Very sad times. You can do it!! I know it will be hard but if anyone can do it you will.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
so sorry to hear it I know its no consolation but its happeneing everywhere With the rise in pricesits even harder hang in there girl

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but it's great you have the opportunity and are willing to make extra money during the summer. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I do not understand why they go for teachers, police, firemen,ect... They are not paid enough as it is and I'd like to see a city run without them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. Agreed that teachers need to be valued more and compensated according to their true worth. Two years ago, my company suspended all health/dental benefits, 401k matching, and cut our pay 10% across the board. It was tough to stomach, tough to keep the same level of commitment to a company that is giving less and expecting MORE from its remaining employees. I've struggled with that a lot, but, like you, I'm just thankful to have a job when so many don't. My husband has insurance for us through his job, but it's scary nonetheless. Many of the people I work with don't have/can't afford health coverage AT ALL. I'm sorry for your reduction in salary. I hope its impact to your budget will be minimal. You have my compassion.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
851 Posts
So sorry to hear about the pay cut. This is a tough time.
I'd a 25% pay cut 3 yrs ago, DH took a 15% pay cut to start up his business.
Hope the economy will stablize soon & things will start to look up.
(((hugs))) to you, Maui.

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting enough, they never cut the pay of firefighters and policemen here - shows how they value education!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sorry to hear that MM........really sucks. It is always the 'worker bees' that have to make up the political ERRORS of spending $!

I do not understand why they go for teachers, police, firemen,ect... They are not paid enough as it is and I'd like to see a city run without them.
POLITICS my dear, just PLAIN POLITICS!!!!

If you don't have these items you will be more likely to vote in the next bond or TAX INCREASE!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts