Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
So true Maui! An area school district just announced that they will be cutting 165 jobs, most of them teachers. Now of course the amount of students is staying the same, growing even. How are all the teachers that are left supposed to take on the increase of those students? It's just not right.

Another local school district put out and emergency call on the local news saying they were in deep trouble with the cuts and wanted people to send them ideas on how to make up the deficit now that the state cut their budget. They set up a website for it, open to the public to throw out any and all ideas. They do not want to fire the staff.

I think I'd like to see our elected officials start making some big cuts to their pay, benefits and pet projects. They say we all have to cut back, let's see them set the example. They need to led the pack. I'd feel much better if beans and buttered noodles started hitting their supper tables too.

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good points friends!!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Interesting enough, they never cut the pay of firefighters and policemen here - shows how they value education!!
You know what irritates me waaaaaaayy more: sports players. How do you even compare who is contributing more to our society teachers vs sports players. Sorry NO CONTEST!!! Doesn't the pay cut have to be voted on MM?

And I'm not sure how, but boy are we being lied to (whether straight out or my omission) about the lottery giving so much to schools. If that were true the schools would not be in so much trouble!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
You know what irritates me waaaaaaayy more: sports players. How do you even compare who is contributing more to our society teachers vs sports players. Sorry NO CONTEST!!! Doesn't the pay cut have to be voted on MM?

And I'm not sure how, but boy are we being lied to (whether straight out or my omission) about the lottery giving so much to schools. If that were true the schools would not be in so much trouble!!!!!!
I don't know how many times me and my hubby have said the same thing. What a farce!

But MM, I'm sorry to hear about the cut, but like another poster mentioned, I'm glad at least you can compensate your loss by doing some extra teaching. :teach: :)

Hang in there MM, and stay close to the FV for support! These woes are touching all of us, one way or another! :( Somehow though, coming here helps. Guess it's because we all think frugal-mindededly, kwim?

Sending BIG HUGS and well wishes!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I think I'd like to see our elected officials start making some big cuts to their pay, benefits and pet projects. They say we all have to cut back, let's see them set the example. They need to led the pack. I'd feel much better if beans and buttered noodles started hitting their supper tables too.
I couldn't agree more.

It's difficult to deal with pay cuts & such, but why are some except from these issues. Cuts should be across the board for all if they need to happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can feel your pain. I have a monthly lay off day, 3% pay cut and my health premiums went up. Now they are talking about shutting our office down. I only work 30 hours a week now and make only $13 an hour. I work for the State. Popular belief is that if you work for the State you are making good money. Yeah..right. The motto for our state is to do "less with less". We already tried to do more with less and that didn't work. Unfortunately its our children that are suffering as I work for the Children's Administration.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts