Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The doctor bill is a little under 340.00. Of course no interest but I'm also trying to build the savings.

I have the money to pay them off now and I'm of the mindset that less bills to worry about feels like an accomplishment.

I can keep paying the small amounts until paid for, but if I put that extra money in the bank it would be very close to my EF goal.

Okay what would you do? :)

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Previously the medical. In this economy-the savings. W/ the Caveat that that money is marked. The only way I change my mind is if the billing is ongoing like for a chronic condition and will be ongoing. Then I would be afraid to get behind. Be sure they don't go to collection or have interest accrue after say 120 days.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Split it? I think that is what I would do. That would leave only $170 on the bill AND put money in the EF. Best of both worlds.

Just me. They aren't beating your door down and not charging any interest. Half is a good chunk.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Previously the medical. In this economy-the savings. W/ the Caveat that that money is marked. The only way I change my mind is if the billing is ongoing like for a chronic condition and will be ongoing. Then I would be afraid to get behind. Be sure they don't go to collection or have interest accrue after say 120 days.
No the billing isn't on going and I pay them every month.(it's the last I owe on an ER bill) They are cool about it. :)

Split it? I think that is what I would do. That would leave only $170 on the bill AND put money in the EF. Best of both worlds.

Just me. They aren't beating your door down and not charging any interest. Half is a good chunk.
Yeah, I was thinking about spliting it too. :)

I want them paid off but also want the money in savings too. Now. :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hmmm. I always really want bills gone to, if only so I don't have to think about them anymore.

On the other hand, it's close to your EF goal, and it will feel great to reach that. I think I would put it in the EF, and as soon as that's done, wipe out the ER bill. Still, there have been times when I have paid off no interest things over savings, because it felt so good.

No answer. Better luck with someone else!

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
If I had the money I'd pay it off. If I was worried about the money situation for the month I'd pay half and bank half. And when finances stabilized, pay it off entirely.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would split it as well. It's a boost to your EF in case something should happen (heavens forbid) but also a good chunk out of your bill.

I do have another suggestion since you said that you do have the money to pay the bill...Call the billing department, or go down there in person and negotiate your bill. Ask them if they will reduce your amount owing by $100 if you pay them the balance in cash. Not comfortable with $100? Make it $75.

I have many friends who have negotiated hospital payments with success. All they can say is no and then you continue making regular payments.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's really just part of the extra money I use for my car payment but that is paid for now.

I was thinking pretend I have one more month on the car and send it to the doctor instead. :D But for me I know it's hard to stick over 300 in the EF at once.

Oh the decisions....

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would split it as well. It's a boost to your EF in case something should happen (heavens forbid) but also a good chunk out of your bill.

I do have another suggestion since you said that you do have the money to pay the bill...Call the billing department, or go down there in person and negotiate your bill. Ask them if they will reduce your amount owing by $100 if you pay them the balance in cash. Not comfortable with $100? Make it $75.

I have many friends who have negotiated hospital payments with success. All they can say is no and then you continue making regular payments.
Thank you for the reminder! That's not a bad idea to try. Maybe I will give them a call and ask. :)

·
19,119 Posts
It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. If not, I'd pay split the $340 between the bill payment and your EF. Please let us know what happens?

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sounds like mentally, for you, it would be better to pay at least half..........like the others said. You want the bill gone.

BUT........if they aren't charging interest --find out when they do -or read the find print......I would wait. You can earn int. on the $ in the bank. Can't imagine a Dr. that won't charge int. at some point in time.........often 120 days. I have seen some at 60.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like mentally, for you, it would be better to pay at least half..........like the others said. You want the bill gone.

BUT........if they aren't charging interest --find out when they do -or read the find print......I would wait. You can earn int. on the $ in the bank. Can't imagine a Dr. that won't charge int. at some point in time.........often 120 days. I have seen some at 60.
The only doctor here that I have experienced that has charged interest was my dentist on monthly payments. *grumble*

The bill is past 120 days so I'm safe there. I've never heard of the ER doing that as long as you keep up with payments though.

They can be arses sometimes too and turn you into collections for not paying in full after they collected from insurance, but not interest. I figured I'm in the clear so far. If they attempted any of that I would pay them off.

But yes it's mental. lol

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would pay off the Dr. bill.

Guard against thinking of the EF as some magical fund that keeps you safe in everything. Next month something could come up that would zap the EF and you still have the Dr. bill.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
What is your current EF balance?

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's 650.00. So that would put me to my 1k goal.

·
Registered
604 Posts
For me it is a bit of a false economy to have money in savings and have outstanding bills.

I do understand the need to have money in the bank though - especially if you have storm clouds on the horizons. Maybe splitting it is the best of both worlds a lower bill that will be paid off faster and getting closer to the EF target so that you aren't so far away from your goal.

I too would check to make sure that you aren't in danger of being side swiped by a debt collector , but doesn't sound like it would take you long to pay this one off anyways.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For me it is a bit of a false economy to have money in savings and have outstanding bills.

I do understand the need to have money in the bank though - especially if you have storm clouds on the horizons. Maybe splitting it is the best of both worlds a lower bill that will be paid off faster and getting closer to the EF target so that you aren't so far away from your goal.

I too would check to make sure that you aren't in danger of being side swiped by a debt collector , but doesn't sound like it would take you long to pay this one off anyways.
But I really wouldn't call this bill outstanding because they let me make monthly payments and I have been faithful.

It's like a catch 22 though and the way I was raised was to wipe the bill out before savings. I'm leaning towards that anyway, but I'm going to call them first and see if they want to make a deal

Two of our small credit card debts I wiped away first because of the interest and well it's just scary cc debt. And I didn't think twice and knew it was the right thing to do before putting that in savings. I see this a little different, I guess. :)

Then my silly thinking is that I haven't had an EF for awhile so what's a little delayed. :p

·
Registered
906 Posts
But I really wouldn't call this bill outstanding because they let me make monthly payments and I have been faithful.
Do you have an agreement with them or have they just not called it in yet?? Big difference. If you don't have an agreement, they could call it in at any time because technically it is an outstanding bill. If you don't have a formal agreement with them, do not assume you are secure. If they are computerized, they could just to a batch call up to send to collections. It is a gamble as to whether someone will check it over or not before sending it (more likely not). Even if it is hand check, you are at the mercy of the office person's mood and ability.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have an agreement with them or have they just not called it in yet?? Big difference. If you don't have an agreement, they could call it in at any time because technically it is an outstanding bill. If you don't have a formal agreement with them, do not assume you are secure. If they are computerized, they could just to a batch call up to send to collections. It is a gamble as to whether someone will check it over or not before sending it (more likely not). Even if it is hand check, you are at the mercy of the office person's mood and ability.
Yes my agreement is that I pay them monthly and they know this.

I'm not worried because they can't turn me into collections nor screw with me without giving me a 30 day written notice by mail before they even think about(and that would be horrible on their part) collections or they could just stop cashing my checks already.

Lets just pretend I don't have the money and they turned me into collections.... this bill would be the last of my worries. I wouldn't really lose nothing, so to say. But I'm a good person so I will pay it.:)

(but don't give me an excuse to rant about insurance/us health care system :p)

Anyhoo, I'm going to knock this bill out, work on the very high smokin debt, and try to build the EF. I'm thinking this is the right choice. I know I haven't really reaped the benefits of not having the car payment and the extra credit card bills to not pay for in the next month, but looking forward to not having them in the future and dividing the extra green towards debt and paying us first. :)

Whooohooo, I am feeling a little freerer(is that a word)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts