Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about this possibility?

Pay What You Weigh

Great for kids and those skinny people... but I can guarantee I will not step foot on a plane if it meant I had to step on a scale at the check-in. Mayyyyyybe I would if I absolutely HAD to get somewhere I couldn't drive to, but even then, I would like SOME privacy and not be weighed like cattle.

Not only can I see a decline in personal travel if the airlines went 'freight' pricing, but I can see problems for the business travelers as well.

Will companies only find thinner people 'qualified' for hire? Will they allow a heavier employee attend the business trips if it means spending more to send them?

:lalala:

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Wow, I really can't see that happening. The price of air fare is so expensive. They would have to reduce almost everyone's prices.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Back when I was a kid, photo studios used to run a "pay what you weigh" promo for kids pictures. Not quite the same, but if they did it then, why not now?

Oh wait...someone might get offended. :donut:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Back when I was a kid, photo studios used to run a "pay what you weigh" promo for kids pictures. Not quite the same, but if they did it then, why not now?

Weight is such a touchy issue with a big enough portion of our population that I can see the problems Lady V mentioned in the "grownupworld". With children's pictures weight doesn't come into play for us parents. The only reason most parents truely care about their children's weight is for health reasons. If we want pictures for our 35lb toddler we also want them for our 150lb 9 year old. I don't think it's a matter of being offended but of embareessment in the personla realm and money in the business realm.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Politically incorrect? Yes!
Totally Absurd? Absolutely!

and yet, ......... where can I go buy my ticket? :) :)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Our town has done this for years (since I was a kid at least). We have an annual fly-in, and they offer plane rides at a price. You pay by what you weigh, or they have a maximum amount and you can opt to pay that if you prefer.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont think it's fair for the simple aspect that as you mentioned about business people who travel alot for their company might now be missing out on jobs or other opportunities that factor in your weight.

I am sure there will be an outbreak of protestors on this for sure.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Heard this on the news this morning.
I feel a very large protest and outcry coming on from a lot of people.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
My first thought was my DS22 who is 260# ---BUT--- he's 6'6" and athletic (muscular) so he's actually SLIM at that weight. Not fair!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
The point is - it takes more fuel to fly those that weigh more. I understand their point. I guess the alternative is to hike everyone's rates to cover those that weigh more ( BTW, I'm obese - so I'd be paying more as well)

·
8,714 Posts
~This actually seems completely fair to me. I don't like being weighed either and I'm slim but the principle of paying for what you consume IS fair. If you and a friend went to a restaurant and you had a salad and water and your friend had a lobster and imported wine but the restaurant charged you each $50, would you feel THAT was fair?~

·
Registered
307 Posts
I really doubt this would fly (pun intended :p) in the US. Arguments about the overweight and extra consumption aside, it would also end up charging discriminatory prices for things people can't help or change to get that better price. My DH is 6'5" and muscular, what's he supposed to do to lose weight to consume that miniscule less amount of fuel, cut off his legs? He's already hideously uncomfortable in those normal sized persons seats, and then they'd ask him to pay more for it, with no sort of upgrade to accomodate that extra size appropriately? Psh!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
~This actually seems completely fair to me. I don't like being weighed either and I'm slim but the principle of paying for what you consume IS fair. If you and a friend went to a restaurant and you had a salad and water and your friend had a lobster and imported wine but the restaurant charged you each $50, would you feel THAT was fair?~
I completely agree.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I can't see it happening. It's discriminatory, and as stated earlier can lead to further discrimination in business practices.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the donut yankeemom. How very thoughtful and kind of you. Here's a :carrot: for you. I wouldn't want you to gain any weight and maybe become *gasp* one of "those people."

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't think this is a bad idea. Weigh me and my bags and charge part of the fee (the fuel portion) based on that. That is a variable cost, whereas the pilot, plane, etc. will be a fixed cost that we should all share equally.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I can't see it happening. It's discriminatory, and as stated earlier can lead to further discrimination in business practices.
It isn't discriminatory - they're not excluding anyone - and calling it so is a very aggressive accusation. The reason for the weight based price is because, as has been said earlier, it costs more to move more weight. Not only does a heavier person (such as myself) require more fuel to move, but the extra fuel to be moved also requires extra fuel. (Fortunately, not to an infinite regression)

IMO, charges like "discriminatory" should be limited to cases where decisions are made based on factors that have no relevance to the situation. For example, discriminating against blacks when selling a home has no merit.

But heavier people, again, like me, cost more to move, so the Airlines have a real, practical reason for the step they are taking.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts