Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't seen the last episode of the season, Sunday night, do not read any further!!
How can this be???? Why would they get rid of Matthew?? All he has gone thru & ends up dead!! I was just shocked.
And you? What do you think will happen next season?
And Edythe? Can she not find a man who she could marry?
There has to be Downton fans out there!!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you haven't seen the last episode of the season, Sunday night, do not read any further!!
How can this be???? Why would they get rid of Matthew??
The actor who played Matthew wanted off of the show and refused to come back at all for season 4, even just a few episodes.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yeah, I read that he didn't renew his contract. Still, to have him die right after the birth of his baby just like Sybil did was a display of lazy writing, imo. I also read that the writers like when there are new relationships because "married couples are boring".

Who thinks that Rose and Tom will get together?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yeah, I read that he didn't renew his contract. Still, to have him die right after the birth of his baby just like Sybil did was a display of lazy writing, imo.
I thought it was a disappointing end to the arc of his story, but I see it as more of an issue of timing/logistics than lazy writing. They had to write off 2 major characters and only had so many episodes in which to accomplish it. Both actors refusing to come back at all for season 4 limited the writers' options.

Reactions: lovestoread

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I didn't know about the contracts! Rose was sent packing-unless Tom meets her on the street somewhere... Downton is like a evening soap opera. We haven't heard anything about Mrs. Hughes cancer. Or Robert kissing the maid--will she come back to haunt? And Bates-will the thugs from prison show up & kill him? Some times @ the end of the season, a few scenes of the next season will be shown. They didn't do that. Guess I will wait for a commercial. :tay:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Total shocker!!! Mrs Hughes did have the answer that her test was not cancer...and Rose is being sent to live at Downton while her parents are in India...I wonder if Tom and Mary won't end up together...

Reactions: Trishagirl

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I love Downton Abbey. I also read that Dan Stevens, who plays Matthew, was leaving the show. He did a Broadway play while on hiatus and now wants to branch out and do more. I liked his character and Mary together but like others, I don't like how they wrote him off. There's seems to be alot of speculation about who Tom will end up with. Do you think there's good chemistry between he and Mary? I'm not so sure. I still wonder about who killed Bates wife and was it really a suicide? There seems to be alot of story lines just hanging.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Mary would never hook up with Tom - she is just too much of a snob. I really wanted Edith to go to America but I guess that isn't going to happen now. They need her character for the show now. Anna is quite the character, too. She is coming into her own.

The only big thread I see hanging is Daisy and the farm. That has all sorts of potential. And I predict some of the older staff will retire and we'll see some of the younger staff moving up. That could be interesting. O'Brien is definitely lobbying to leave with the Scottish family to India so there might be a replacement for her in the works.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I heard Matthew (Dan Stevens) was leaving the show but was surprised by Sybil. As for both of them dying after their children were born, well, I think part of the timing on that is due to tying up story lines. They mentioned Sybil was pregnant during the Christmas ep of season 2. So they needed to deal with that. As for Matthew, after all the drama of him being the heir over Mary then 'will they/won't they' marry, they needed to tie up the heir issue before he left. The character arc deserved a pay-off.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Sounds like Miss O'Brien (Siobhan Finneran) is leaving the show too. I just saw a picture of her and I doubt I would've recognized her in her normal clothes with her hair down. :) But at least with O'Brien, there's still a chance for her to return. I think they're writing the character into another position (with Rose's family) which leaves the option of potentially seeing her again.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I know this is sure something I wasn't expecting! I will miss his character & how will Mary cope without him. It will be an interesting season 4! Rose is a wild child for sure. I hope Tom & Mary get together.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I love and miss this show. I began watching season 1 on Netflix over the summer and then one day it had disappeared. Turned out Amazon had bought the digital streaming rights, so now I can only watch it if I pay, which isn't going to happen. Ah well, maybe it will pop up online somewhere someday.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You can also get it on PBS.com.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My PVR didn't record it on Sunday night! :( I'm in Canada, and I don't think I can watch it on PBS.com. Does anyone know where else online that I might be able to see it??

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I watched up until this season because I had started all over with my mom with the DVDs. We lost momentum and have to finish Season 2. Luckily, the old seasons are always at the library. Was this most recent season the last or is it the next one? I know I read something about that.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I watched up until this season because I had started all over with my mom with the DVDs. We lost momentum and have to finish Season 2. Luckily, the old seasons are always at the library. Was this most recent season the last or is it the next one? I know I read something about that.
I heard the last season is season 6 season 5 is the one that just came out on DVD and Amazon prime

Pbs says season 6 will air on their station in 2016

Reactions: Bernice

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Season 6, which will be the last one, begins in January on PBS.

The burning question, for me, is will Tom return from America to Downton Abbey---he and Mary are a good pair, not romantically, but in managing the estate.

I would be fine with Mary remaining single a while longer. I'm afraid the series is going to try to wrap everything up and marry her off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts