Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some ham broth and meat from boiling a ham bone, and some dried split peas (green) that I've had for a long time, so I thought I would make some pea soup tomorrow. But I haven't made it for years. What do you wonderful cooks out there season it with? Any add ins you like?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
diced carrots, chopped onion, S&P

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
garlic and onion in some form. If I'm in a hurry, I use dried.
I've also been known to add tobasco or cayenne to spice it up - don't know if you "like it hot"

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks -- I have all that stuff on hand except the tabasco and cayenne, since I don't do spicy. I'll give it a whirl. It's so cold here, I may eat some and pour the rest over my feet to warm them up!

·
27,948 Posts
here's my tried & true recipe.:)

~Pea Soup~

16 oz split green peas-rinse & check
9c. water
1 meaty hambone
1 lg onion,chopped
2 chicken boullion cubes (I use chicken soup base, it's a powder)
1/2 tsp each garlic powder & oregano
1/4 tsp each blk pepper & ground cloves
1 bay leaf
1+1/2c thinly sliced carrots
1c. sliced celery
s&p to taste

Mix all except carrots & celery & simmer 2 hrs. Remove hambone cool a bit and add any meat from the bone and the carrots & celery to the pot. Simmer another hour. Taste and add more boullion if necessary. Remove bayleaf. May also add extra ham if wanted, just cube & toss in to heat through.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I add celery, carrots, potatoes, onion and garlic. For seasonings I add salt, pepper and Bragg's liquid aminos (I add these three to almost everything). When I dont have ham bones or broth then I will just use bacon ends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts