Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking about making these for about 3 yrs now, I finally did so last night. They are super yummy :lip:

16 oz. peanut butter
2 c. butter
2 lbs confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar 10x)
1/2 paraffin wax block
16 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large pot over low-medium heat melt peanut butter and butter; remove from heat. Add powdered sugar until thick enough to roll into balls (I used all 2 lbs for mine). Make into balls and cool on wax paper. Melt chocolate in double boiler w/ paraffin wax on low heat. Dip balls into chocolate using toothpicks, cool on wax paper. Can freeze for 1 yr, refrigerate for 4 months.

*Note: I used 1 tbsp shortening in place of the paraffin. :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
We call those buckeyes. My sister makes them every Christmas

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
We also call them Buckeyes. They are delicious. Although I hate rolling them into balls, I make them every Christmas. I made some just last Thursday. They also freeze well.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
sounds yummy! thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
We have the exact same recipe, only ours is all peanut butter and no butter! I'll be making some on Saturday for Christmas!!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're so yummy and even taste good frozen :blush:

Not that I would know anything about eating them frozen! :whistle: :laugh:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
is there a big difference in subbing shortening for the parafin??

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there a big difference in subbing shortening for the parafin??
I've never tried paraffin, but the substitution was in another of my recipes that required dipping in chocolate. My grocery store is lame, and I can never find paraffin, so I decided to try the supbstitution with this recipe.

HTH :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
LOL, Michelle. I make those every Christmas and even on my dson's birthdays. They prefer them to Reeses PB cups. In addition to semi-sweet chocolate chips, I've also made them with milk chocolate chips and white chocolate, too. Dh had some at work the other day, made with Butterscotch chips. He said they were great. :)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I make these, too. They really are yummy!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just for fun, here's my take on these without paraffin and with rice krispies. We LOVE 'em crunchy mmMM!

Peanut Butter Balls

2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
4 cups confectioners' sugar
3 cups crisp rice cereal
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Melt peanut butter and butter in saucepan, over low heat. In large bowl, mix crispy rice cereal and confectioners' sugar well. Pour melted peanut butter and butter over cereal and sugar and blend together thoroughly.
2. Form into 1 inch or smaller balls, spread on cookie sheets, chill till firm in refrigerator (over night is okay).
3. Melt choc slowly in microwave or on stovetop and dip balls, let cool and enjoy!

~~

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for fun, here's my take on these without paraffin and with rice krispies. We LOVE 'em crunchy mmMM!

Peanut Butter Balls

2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
4 cups confectioners' sugar
3 cups crisp rice cereal
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Melt peanut butter and butter in saucepan, over low heat. In large bowl, mix crispy rice cereal and confectioners' sugar well. Pour melted peanut butter and butter over cereal and sugar and blend together thoroughly.
2. Form into 1 inch or smaller balls, spread on cookie sheets, chill till firm in refrigerator (over night is okay).
3. Melt choc slowly in microwave or on stovetop and dip balls, let cool and enjoy!

~~
I want to try this recipe with the Rice Krispies. My aunt made pb balls when I was growing up, and they had a crunch to them, but I am not sure what gave it the crunch. I know it wasn't chunky pb, so maybe it was the Krispies. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's what made me look for a crunchy recipe--I remembered the peanut butter balls at my grandmother's during the holidays being crunchy!! I'm not sure WHO made them back then, so I found the recipe online lol.

~~

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
the only differnce in my peanut butter recepie is we use coconut and the rice crispys too.
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup rice crispy
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp. butter or margarine

make into balls, melt 6 0z of cho chips and 1/4 wax dip balls in choc mixture on wax paper.
These are also a favourite of my hubbies- Chocolate peanut clusters

1 bag of semi choc chips
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts or rice crispy
1 cup of coconut

melt choc. chips- add peanut butter mix, then all other ingriedents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I make buckeyes. The one difference in my recipe and your is I add 1-1/2 sleeves of graham crackers that I pulsed fine in the food processor. Gives them a good crunch!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh dear I'm craving them again :lip:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:bump: I absolutely love these

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. I have to make a desert for the baseball team this Friday and these will be perfect.

BTW - we call them Peanut butter balls here.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They're so good, and that recipe makes a ton. I am going to try adding Rice Krispies next time...my aunt makes them that way, and they are even better with a little crunch to them. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts