2 TBS butter
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups oatmeal​
Serves:
Directions:
Melt peanut butter, honey and butter. Add vanilla and salt. Place oatmeal in a bowl and add PB mixture and toss to coat evenly.

Spread evenly on baking sheet.

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.​

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eeeep! I accidentally posted before I could make the note that this will burn easily, so you need to keep an eye on it while baking! :)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
This sounds really tasty. I bet my kids would really like it, and for once I have all the ingredients on hand :laugh:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
This sounds delicious.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Sarah, what should the texture be when this is done? Mine is just like it was when I put it in the oven--it's not crunchy. Is that the way it should be, or did I do something wrong?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sarah, what should the texture be when this is done? Mine is just like it was when I put it in the oven--it's not crunchy. Is that the way it should be, or did I do something wrong?

It should have gotten really crunchy. When I make it, I have to watch it really closely, becuase there is a fine line between getting it crunchy and burning it.

I pulled out the recipe card to make sure that I didn't miss anything when I wrote it down, but it is the exact recipe that I make.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe our ovens run differently? If you decide to try it again, maybe leave it in for a bit longer. Make sure you spread it out into a thin layer on a cookie sheet and maybe bake it for the time alloted, then watch it for a few extra minutes and let it crisp up.

Honestly, I've never had any problems with this recipe being uncrispy!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Only the edges were crunchy, and I baked it for 3 min longer...hmmm :ponder:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Lately, I have been making granola and granola bars like there is not tomorrow. I printed off a bunch of recipe, but I don't have anything similar to this one. I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Honestly, I've never had any problems with this recipe being uncrispy!
Could be the type of baking sheet you are using. Is it insulated? Dark or light? Does it have sides? Any of those factors can alter the consistency.

Also, is the oven pre-heated to 350F?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I just made some because it sounded so good and I had all the ingredients. I baked it at 375* (preheated oven) and after the first 10 minutes I flipped it over in the pan and stirred it and put it back in the oven. I kept checking and stirring/flipping every 5 minutes and I took it out after 30 minutes total baking time when it was dark brown. It didn't feel crispy but it was dry and when it cooled down it became crispy/chewy. It's pretty good! DH likes it - I think he will gobble it all up LOL.

I want to make some of the PB/honey/butter sauce by itself for dipping apples and bananas in. Mmm, the sauce was sooo good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been making htis for years and it is VERY yummy. My kiddos like it best served with milk over it... I like it mixed in vanilla yogurt. :lip:

However, I too found that baking it for just 10 minutes wasn't enough. I instead bake for 8 minutes and then stir and then bake another 8 minutes. As it cools it gets crispy.

Also, I prefer natural pb. If you use the natural stuff, don't add extra salt.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Could be the type of baking sheet you are using. Is it insulated? Dark or light? Does it have sides? Any of those factors can alter the consistency.

Also, is the oven pre-heated to 350F?
Not insulated, not dark or light...sorta in the middle, I guess--with sides. I didn't want it falling down into my oven. Yes, pre-heated to 350ºF.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
mom2boys- can i use margarine instead of butter? has anyone tried and seen the diff?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I was looking for a granola bar recipe last night, and :hubba: here is one just waiting for me! I will make it tonight with margarine so I will let you know how it came out.

Reactions: miss_thrifty

·
19,119 Posts
Please let us know about the change to margarine - going to make this with our preschoolers!! Mahalo for the recipe!!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I deviated slightly -- I added about 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips to the top. It smells wonderful but still too hot to eat.

Margarine review to come after dinner. :chomp:

·
Registered
746 Posts
For those with the uncrunchy granola...are you using quick cook or 5 minute oats (I grabbed quick at the store and didn't pay attention) ? I made that mistake and it came out not crunchy. Used regular oats and it came out good.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Sorry I am late, computer problems.

I used regular oats and margarine.

Old Man ate half the tray between last night and now, so I am assuming he likes it :lol:

I didn't notice any difference between the thin bars I made with margarine last night and the ones from the box

1 - 20 of 22 Posts