Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost always purchase plain peanut butter, but for a "treat" for hubby I got a jar of crunchy recently when it was 98-cents for 16-oz. We consistantly use a 16-oz. jar of peanut butter each month (like clock-work). Was I surprised when the jar of crunchy only lasted two weeks and we didn't use it anymore often than we do plain (peanut butter on whole wheat toast for breakfast Tues. and Thurs. and 2 pb sandwiches for lunches during the week) - it just doesn't spread as thinly as plain. So I calculate it's costing us twice as much to use crunchy peanut butter as it does plain and crunchy will remain a rare "treat", indeed.... :lol3:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I rarely use peanut butter, so it's not much of an issue with me, but I would gladly pay twice as much for crunchy. Peanut butter is definitely quick emergency rations on my list, and the crunch makes it almost sort of ok. But then I use a jar that size in about 6 or 8 months. However, that's an interesting observation. If I went to smooth (ugh), I guess it would become an annual purchase.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rarely use peanut butter, so it's not much of an issue with me, but I would gladly pay twice as much for crunchy. Peanut butter is definitely quick emergency rations on my list, and the crunch makes it almost sort of ok. But then I use a jar that size in about 6 or 8 months. However, that's an interesting observation. If I went to smooth (ugh), I guess it would become an annual purchase.
I keep powdered peanut butter (comes in #10 cans) in my long-term "emergency rations" and 8-10 jars (usually 16-oz. size since it's usually the lowest unit price) in storage.

Peanut butter in jars is one of those foods that doesn't seem to have as long a shelf-life as other foods. When purchased on sale, I always have to check the use-by dates and compare it to what's in storage. Normally, I've found the use-by dates of peanut butter on sale is in the not-too-distant future. They usually end up not going to the back of the inventory, but someplace in the front to middle according to the use-by dates, so I always keep the inventory dates for peanut butter in storage in my Price Book for easy reference.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
We only use smooth but I love crunchy the best. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's a few things in life I choose not to compromise on in life, and peanut butter is one of them. I do try to buy the jumbo size of crunchy, however, Jif brand in a can if I can find it. The hubby loves peanut butter, and I like it myself, so it doesn't have time to go bad before it gets eaten.

--Love

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Creamy smooth here. Jif if possible.

·
19,119 Posts
I've never seen peanut butter in a can. Love Jif pb and would also prefer crunchy, but for some reason always buy smooth. Interesting cost comparison, but makes sense that the crunchy would not go as far. Now if you just eat it by the spoonful instead of on bread, it should last about as long!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
We use skippy natural it only comes in creamy. I did see that the last time jiff was on sale they now have a natural so I will be tring it as it costs the same but has 2 more oz's. With dd the natural has less tummy issues than the regular.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Nope, I can go frugal on lots of things but pb is not one of them. Do buy it on sale but it has to be Skippy and SUPER CRUNCH so imagine it is costing me double but that is the treat in life that I like on toast with my homemade jam. (and the dogs like a little on the roof of their mouths once in awhile)

But thanks for making me appreciate it even more. No guilt...it will just be pure pleasure!

·
Registered
814 Posts
That totally makes sense that it wouldn't last as long!
We have no real preference and rarely eat PB, so I usually have a jar of each in the fridge (we get the natural kind)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I love Kroger brand. Jiffy and peter pan are gritty w/ sugar to me. Crunchy is for baking. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches requrie smooth. Natural peanut butter is great but I don't like it when the oil pools at the top.Yuck.
If I ever get my gallbladder out I think I will buy a whole jar and make something w/ peanut butter and choc. MMM.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I don't buy peanut butter all too often because DH won't eat it, but I'll have to take a look when I'm in the store again. I always bought smooth because many of my recipes call for smooth. I figure if I want crunchy, I can put peanuts into a food processor and then add them to the smooth peanut butter afterwards.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I like crunchy and Hubby likes smooth, so we keep both around.

Bro-in-law is diabetic, and his doctor told him to keep peanut butter (either kind) close, as a spoonful of that would give him the mix of sugar and protein needed when his insulin goes haywire. I have low blood sugar, and I found that this is true for me, also. So we always have peanut butter on hand.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
i eat alot of p butter (being a vegan and all) and i always buy crunchy although i won't buy anything other than 'all natural peanuts only ingredient' and it keeps indefinately in the fridge...you do have to stir the settled oil into the jar when you open for the first time....(have you read the ingredient lists on some of the other brands...? do you even know what some of the stuff is ? i don't....)

however, i think after grainlady's observation i think i will just buy the creamy and add my own chopped nuts here at home....

thanks grainlady for another useful tip......

·
Registered
656 Posts
Crunchy for me - and the kind you have to stir the oil in. Can't remember the brand, but there's no sugar added.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Thanks, Grainlady! I had never even noticed that before and we use a lot of peanut butter around here! My kids love creamy :thumb:, but I much prefer crunchy peanut butter. I'll be thinking twice now when I use it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts