Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well yesterday i stopped at the local dollar general and they had 12 oz jars of creamy peanut butter for 1 dollar a jar and i bought 10 jars for the pantry and they had canned treat for only1.15 a can so i bought 10 cans of them too lots of very good deals on food there all in all i spent a 100.00 there---added lots of stuff to the stockpile---good deal on aspirins too next time i go to dollar tree and see what they have -love to save a buck -its a good place to shop and don't forget family dollar stores ether might not be a leading brand but still good --hugs to all fv and their familys

·
27,948 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time spending & saving. Your stockpile must be mega awesome now. :)
Do you rotate your stock? It seems like you have so much, does it ever go bad before you get to using it?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Did you check the expiration date?

Or are you one that doesn't worry about the printed date?

·
2,688 Posts
I just did a google search and came up with this answer.
*The quality is not severely impacted with age. But if the product has a high oil content it can go rancid. Smell it before using. *

I just checked 2 jars I have here and it has a BEST USED before
date on them. I have not ran into a bad jar yet myself no matter the date.

I also found this *The FDA recommends it be used within 2 years if unopened. And they are VERY Conservative.*

And if you find a older jar that you are not sure about using, you could always use it to feed the birds, like in a suet recipe or speading peanut butter on pinecones.

Like anything else in your stockpile, check the dates, and rotate your items. Use the older stuff first. Buy what you expect to use in a certain amount of time. Don't buy 60 jars, if you are only going to be able to use 12 jars in 6 months for instance.

I store peanut butter after opening in the cupboard. But it gets used up fast. I use a knife to get the PB out and then I use a spoon to get jelly out of the jar when I make toast in the mornings. That way the only thing in the PB jar is the clean knife.

Reactions: crafty73

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My DG here had coupons on their website for 5$off a 25$ order. Be sure to check DG's site. Also join their site for coupons.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I have found the expiration dates on most food at the Dollar store to be very good. The canned veggies I bought last week were December 2012. Great shopping! :)

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Great shopping marla!

Darn.....we don't have dollar general OR family dollar. Wish we did.
Only have dollar tree...........that I know of.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Great deals, Here in Canada we have a store called Dollaramma, I buy some things there that are cheaper then other places.

For example the Nutella hazelnut spread, they carry a cheaper brand and its only 1.50 for the same size jars as the expensive brands.

Also they sell large packages of spagettini there for 1.00 so I always buy that there.

Reactions: monkeywrangler71

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Oooooh. I should have looked there----I've been making Buckeyes (peanut butter balls to you non-Ohioans), and those bird nests candy or cookies or whatever they are (LOL!) and using tons of PB.

I bought Great Value from Walmart, which I usually do, but I wonder what $ it is per ounce in comparison? Poop, I don't have the jar anymore--polished it off. Going to look for the sales slip....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts