Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.poststar.com/articles/2009/04/13/news/local/14656566.txt

This was in my local paper today! May be not quite what we are all doing...but people are starting to realize that they need to be prepared just in case! I feel so much better knowing that here on this site we are all making life changes to better take care of our families everyday..not just because of an "event happening".

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
all those people live right near me!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's cool! I just find it kinda funny that some people that are more "well off" are deciding to stock up on things. It doesn't say they are cutting back on their current lifestyles though. But I guess every little bit helps. It just goes to show you, that when people that are well off are deciding to take action that things are starting to get worse than we might think.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Chalk it up to behavioral economics. Don't get me wrong, I think it is prudent to be prepared for emergencies, but stockpiling guns and ammunition like those in the article? Please. The best tools for security in uncertain times are good locks and common sense.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Chalk it up to behavioral economics. Don't get me wrong, I think it is prudent to be prepared for emergencies, but stockpiling guns and ammunition like those in the article? Please. The best tools for security in uncertain times are good locks and common sense.
DH and I are of an age where we've mostly been there and done that. We live in a very rural area where guns are very common for both hunting and the security of people and their animals.

If I have my way, we will be buying more guns and stockpiling amunition. I want to secure/procure those while I still have the constitutional right to do so. Before the government takes that away from me. I see that being a more imminent threat than having to fend off my neighbors.

·
Registered
442 Posts
As a registered Democrat, please let me make it clear that I am not out to overturn the second amendment, and I wouldn't support an administration who would do so either. This whole "we must stockpile firearms & ammo before our government takes them away" thing is completely beyond me. If people really want to protect their physical assets, the best first step is to put away the bling and install deadbolts. Just my $.02

·
Registered
980 Posts
. If people really want to protect their physical assets, the best first step is to put away the bling and install deadbolts. Just my $.02

You have more faith in your deadbolt than I do in mine.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I think I just have a lot more faith in Americans and my neighbors than those who feel they need to stockpile guns and ammo.

Don't think I don't have a gun either..I do, several actually. I hunt with them, etc. But Not other people..that's just barbaric.

Reactions: redhead68

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel if people want to buy guns and ammo for hunting purposes for providing food for their families that's fine! As for protection that's fine too, if you live in an area where you feel you need it.....Unless things get dramatically worse with our economy and government...I don't think we will all "NEED" them to fend off people....But you never know...Being prepared is always good. I don't own guns...With children in my house, it would scare me.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Thanks for the link, I found it interesting.

·
2,688 Posts
I think more people are doing this than we know about.
I would guess most people don't want others to know about their secret stashes.

Reactions: hotprincesscm

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
This is an article from April 8, 2009 Oh, and it was reported with far more facts on the Nightly News.

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/n08503859-us-cyberattack-usa/

I'm not an alarmist, or dooms dayer, however I never in my wildest imgination thought that New Orlens would suffer so greatly from a natural disater and our government would be unable to handle it. That people would be moved all over the States where families would welcome strangers into their homes and help them get on their feet. Thank God the people of our nation were prepared to help, but what if...and this is a big if, but what if there was a disater on a larger scale like a power grid failure? Who would help? our government proved that they were/are unable to help even a small area of our United States facing a disater. I think it it only good common sense to prepare for your family in the event of something unthinkable, unimaginable.

Reactions: hotprincesscm

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think it is only good common sense to prepare for your family in the event of something unthinkable, unimaginable.
I agree, which is why I keep an up-dated emergency plan and three-days' worth of emergency supplies separate from my pantry stockpile, but I suppose I'm just exhausted with the fear-mongering about the big, bad Liberals, who are out to over-turn the Second Amendment, right before they they seize everybody's personal assets and give them away to the poor, huddled masses. IMO, stockpiling guns and ammo isn't emergency preparation, it's survivalist hysteria.

Go ahead, eviscerate me for my views. I can take it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am really sick and tired of having to apologize if I choose to prepare in order to care for my family. Katrina had nothing to do with civil unrest, economic collapse, of the breakdown of the government. It was the WEATHER. I don't tell anyone else steps they should take but I am constantly having to justify mine.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nobody asked you to apologize. I simply expressed my opinion about the stockpiling of weaponry in response to the following comment

If I have my way, we will be buying more guns and stockpiling amunition[sic]. I want to secure/procure those while I still have the constitutional right to do so.
As far as Katrina is concerned, the most effective preparation for surviving that particular catastrophe was an emergency evacuation plan.

·
19,119 Posts
Hotprincess, that was an interesting article - awareness from another angle.

It's also interesting hearing the take on guns - it seems like a different world, but then I am sure that I am naive about such things. Not my thing, but that sure doesn't make it wrong for others. Just want people to take responsibility for what they are doing!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Nobody asked you to apologize. I simply expressed my opinion about the stockpiling of weaponry in response to the following comment

As far as Katrina is concerned, the most effective preparation for surviving that particular catastrophe was an emergency evacuation plan.

My post was in no way directed towards you. . Had I wished to address you , I would have quoted your post as I have here and as I did previously. I respect your opinion as I would hope you respect mine. My post had nothing to do with guns either. It had to do with preparedness in general such as developing an evacuation plan and stockpiling food and water. Some people who chose not to do it don't want any else to do either.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
thanks for sharing the article.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I think folks who believe they need a gun to protect them selves are being a little naive.

Fact: When you are in danger your body slows down the blood stream to your arms and hands. This is to supply your heart with "power" encase you need to flea. What this means is that you loose dexterity in your hands. If you are not trained to handle this gun in stressful situations you will not be able to control this gun.

Fact: When you are being threatened you loose your peripheral vision. This is how innocent people get hurt and how people get hurt by a second attacker. They simply don't see anything else that is going on.

And these are only some of the reasons why it is a terrible idea to buy a gun for the suppose of protecting a stockpile or for protection in the event of a disaster. And untrained person in stress is just as dangerous as a toddler with a gun. My husband is a trained gun man by both the Army and the Police academy and HE DOES NOT OWN A GUN.

I think it best to spend your time focusing on learning real survival skills and quietly building a stockpile.

I dont' want to turn this into a argument about gun rights. It is your right however I just feel that most of the people who have been buying guns the last year have no idea what they have been buying into.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts