Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some perch fish at WalMart and was going to fix it for dinner tonight. I have never fixed it, just needed a low priced fish that week. I talk with a girlfriend today and she says perch? You are actually going to fix perch? That is right up there with sardines. Well, we hate sardines including our cat.

What to do? What is the best recipe to use to make it the most palatable this one time then I will not buy it again? Thanks!

A2M

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
We also hate sardines, but we LOVE perch. I'm not sure why she feels they are equal.

I just dunk them in egg/milk bath - then dredge them in flour/spice mixture and fry in butter. Yummy!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
We also hate sardines, but we LOVE perch. I'm not sure why she feels they are equal.

I just dunk them in egg/milk bath - then dredge them in flour/spice mixture and fry in butter. Yummy!
That's what hubby does too. He also likes to take them into a foil packet, stuff the body cavity with herbs and lemon, put a pat of butter in the packet and cook the packet out on the grill.

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
They are a mild fish, so I don't know why she would compare them to sardines, unless she just doesn't like fish or she got some bad ones once.

Dredge in flour and fry in butter, or put some seasoned crumbs on them and bake in the oven. Any simple crumb covered recipe should work for them.

Fifteen Ways To Cook Perch

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The type of perch fish that I grew up with were freshwater fish down here in Florida are called Bluegills and Shellcrackers. After they were cleaned we would just season them with salt and pepper then dredge them in corn meal. Then we would fry them until they were brown and crispy. Add hushpuppies and grits with butter, that's all you need. Yummm.

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
719 Posts
Comparing perch to sardines is like comparing cheddar to cheese wiz...they're nowhere near the same thing.

I do have to say that we always preferred the perch that came out of Lake Michigan to ocean perch, but still...neither is "bad."

Frying it up like others have suggested is my favorite way to have it as well. I think my dad used to use a tempura batter, but honestly, it's been so long since I've had it that I'm not 100% sure on that.

·
8,714 Posts
~Perch is yummy! My dad kept nets in the creek behind our house to catch perch. Mom usually dipped the fillets in seasoned bread crumbs and fried them. I liked lemon juice on it at the table. She served it with buttered toast and stewed tomatoes. Yum. Now I want some!~

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Perch is comparable to walleye, not sardines! I hate sardines but could live off of perch. I have fixed them just the same as everyone else has suggested. Yummy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.