Frugal Village Forums banner

Personal Property taxes

3K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  Luv2BeFrugal 
#1 ·
Oh I knew they was going to show up in the mailbox soon.

Car-147.99
Truck-221.30
House-1302.81

Glad I don't own a boat!

Ugh, I love this time of year. :skept:

Just a little rant. :nrant:

#5 ·
those taxes on your car and truck are they the registration or extra taxes because you own them?

In Florida we just pay vehicle registration once a year on the owners birthday. No extra tax though. Same with boats ect. These fee just doubled this year. It used to be a regular car was about 40-45.00 a year now it is 98.00.

We pay our property taxes once a year due in Nov. I think.

Maybe it is just the wording in the post. Personal property tax.

#6 ·
It's yearly taxes because we own them. Yes it's called personal property tax. :)

We do vehicle registration too yearly or you can pick two years for convience but still pay the same amount.

#8 ·
Haha, now I'm starting to feel worse. lol. Yes we pay personal property taxes every year to own them and park in our driveway...which we already paid taxes the first time we bought the house and the cars. Renters have to pay as well. Well to park the dang car. Crazy, eh?

But I think you are in Canada?

My house taxes are just not escrowed in our mortgage but no getting around anything else.

Lets say you owned a tractor in the country, you would have to pay taxes yearly on that for as long as you own it.

ETA, the taxes also goes to the library, schools, health department, etc. That would be the house taxes.

#10 ·
Just paid the tax on the car. Waiting for the bill on the house. The bill for the car went down this year, as did the assessed value, waiting to see if the house does too. There are two homes on our street that have been for sale all year and have not moved.

#11 ·
yeah this time of year the money flows out - not in

#13 ·
Our bill for our house taxes should be in any day now, yippie!!

We pay taxes on the car when you buy it and registration on "anniversary" of the sale every 2 years.

#16 ·
It pretty much is a double tax! Yes, it goes off the value of the car.

So you never had to pay personal properity taxes ever for a car yearly?

Darn the lucky ones but I guess some things equal out from states to states concering taxes though.

#15 ·
Here, they are based upon value. The total vehicle tax rate is 1.1493%. It goes to state, county, school, library, health dept., extension service and fire protection. Each has a different rate. Just another reason not to drive an expensive car.

#22 ·
in Indiana we pay a yearly fee when we ne-new our plates (called our registration fee)...it is based on the value of the vehicle and goes down each year as the value of the vehicle decreases...my 1999 mountaineer is about $100 bucks a year right now and will continue to decrease...(another good reason to drive it into the ground...a newer car- higher 'reg' fees every yr..in addition to pmts, ins, etc)..... but in the beginning in 1999 it was about $400 for the first yr....

no personal property tax on boats but a 'reg' fee paid to DNR each yr to operate in the water...and of course you have to register and plate the trailer so they charge yrly fees for that....

due twice a year are the taxes on our 'physical residences' which we refer to here as 'property taxes' due may/nov..
property taxes are based on the 'accessed value' (which is completely made up by depending on what day of the week they access the house, whether its a full moon, whether they enjoyed what they had for lunch that day, and if they like the outfit they chose to put on in the morning).....i'm not kidding... i have 16 rental properties (not including my own) and although they are all very similiar across the board the accessments are all over the place (and we had a complete statewide re-assessment last yr of every piece of property in the state at the same time)....some are completely out of line and way over-accessed while others are given the value of a doghouse...(but it all seems to avg out in the end so i just let it be)....then we get 2 credits...one called the 'homestead credit' and all property owners get this credit if you live in the home (which leaves us investors out) and the other credit is the 'mtg credit' (which if you have a mtg on the property you get another deduction)..which once again does not allow the investors to take....we get none..... and it is a pretty significant break...for example my own personal residence was $3600 without the credits and dropped to $1600 with credits...(this was based on a $142,000 home) but of course DH had to start building on the place and significantly raised the value of the home and i will not know the true damage until may when they are due again..and our taxes are always paid a yr in arrears...so when you pay you are actually paying the previous yrs taxes...(which kinda stinks coz when you sell your home you get to catch up on the current yrs taxes plus pay an additional yr on top of that...but i guess it works both ways coz when you buy the 1st yr has been paid by the seller and you get a credit on your closing stmt...

but we just had a referendum voted in in our county two weeks ago to re-build our school and it is going to cost the tax-payers and additional .59 per $100 of accessed value...(which equals out to $590 per $100,000 per homeowner per yr for 20 yrs...).....BLAH!!!!..... and it was one of those that passed by 4 percentage points....so we have alot of unhappy people around here...especially me...!

i just hope my state doesn't start looking at others and thinking..."hey- lets charge for that too... if we can charge them for their house...let's charge them for parking their vehicles in their drives too...." .......

#23 ·
We don't have personal property taxes here in NY.

We do however have .............
State taxes when we buy vehicles new or used.
Currently for our county is 8.25 %

We also pay the 8.25 % when we buy any non food items.
We also get taxed on chewing gum, candy, bottled water, and food served in fast food places / restaurants. Beer, soda, cigarettes, etc.

We have school taxes that come due in September each year.
It is based on a percentage for each $ 1000 that your house is appraised at.
Land property taxes due at end of December and again based on a percentage for each $ 1000 of appraised value.

Then we have registration fees dues every every year but paid every 2 yrs, on our vehicle plates for cars, trucks, motercycles, atv's. Trailer plates fees are due every year end of December.
Our fees have gone up quite a lot due to NY looking for more $$ from us poor taxpayers.

I was just reading a news story about unemployment taxes that need to be paid in, going up higher for employers. That is going to hurt employers badly.

#25 ·
Probably so. At least they call it here personal property so we don't get the shock factor. Know we have to suck it up every year. Yeah it's personal allright...

Maybe they call it there...'we will tax you hard with your car and license every time you darn feel like pulling out of your driveway with your nice vehicle.' :p

#26 ·
We pay property taxes for our house end of February and end of August. We pay for plates for our vehicles on our birthdays. Approx $100 a year. Palooka; just a suggestion; I do this with yearly bills. Divide what you owe by how many paychecks you get a year and save it in an envelope or your bank account. So much easier paying larger bills.

All of the states get our money one way or another. I understand that Florida doesn't have state tax; is that true?

#31 ·
So how does your state get money for them to run the state ?
And where does money come from, for your county and town governments ?

The state of NY is crying the blues right now, worried that they won't have enough money to pay the next round of bills.
Our governor is asking for cutbacks and the senate and assembly just keep bumping heads with him.

#30 ·
We live in VA too - yay for personal property tax. We bought a truck 1/2 way through the year so we didn't have to pay on it this month... but will have to next time around in May or June. :'( Thankfully, it's just my car, which was a whopping $30.

We're especially thankful, because my husband is out of work right now and money is tight. We can pay all our bills, but the extra just isn't there.

IN MN where I used to live we had registration fees only - but they were more expensive and varied depending on your vehicle's worth. For my 92's I paid usually 40-50 dollars I believe. I have a 99 now so it'd be more. But, as stated, I now live in VA. Yay personal property tax!

#32 ·
I am in MO property tax is on land and houses (property)

personal property tax is on what you own cars,boats, trucks, farm equipment, business equipment stuff like that

It is how we fund our schools which I guess is fair not everyone owns a house but most own a car

#34 ·
In Alaska there's no state income tax, no personal property tax, no sales tax (in Anchorage).

There's property tax on the homes/land... The rate is on the high side, but not ridiculous - the trouble is that the values of homes/land are SO HIGH...so it really does end up a big OUCH twice a year.

We pay registration for vehicles once every two years. Our '98 Caviler was $114...the '89 was a little less. It's based on when you purchase the car.

Not a bad deal tax wise...of course, the cost of living is THROUGH THE ROOF...so I imagine it all evens out in the long run. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.