Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a dog and decided to look up a different kind of dog food for him. I buy it at this small kind of mom and pop store. I was looking to find another store because they were out of it. They are also closed on Sunday. Petsmart doesn't carry it and Pet Supplies plus wants $12 a bag more. I was shocked at the price at that store. I could have it delivered to my door if that was my only choice from purchasing online. Has anyone else seem this type of difference for the same item?

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Of course. We have a little pet store near us that cant afford to buy in lg. quantities so its more.
I like pet supplies plus for things other than food. If you sign up for birthday club and get the keychain card you can get their deals. /they will mail $5. coupons. Also,on the back of Kroger reciepts they have $3 off if you purchase $30. So you can stack the store discount w/ the manufacturers. Plus the sale if they are having one.
As for my 3 dogs-they eat a 46# or more a month so I go to Sams Club for the Iams 46#/$38.ish. I'm not exactly sure on the price as I grab 4 and shove it in the bsmt.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm in MI, too, and PSP is usually expensive for dog food here. I generally buy it at Tractor Supply. We're doing Earthborn Holistic now, and TS has the best price on it of the 4 stores in our area. It's about the same as the online price, so I buy it here to support local business. I've found when it comes to dog food, prices are all over the place. It's not consistent from store to store here the way people food is!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I hate to drive you away from your local businesses, but try wag.com online. They almost always do special offers for first time buyers and are quite competitive. They also stock decent food without all the nasties (not sure what your preferred brand is, but they will likely have it).

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Not cheap, but I switched our dog to real food a couple years ago. My only regret is ever making her eat dog food to begin with.

I buy discounted human-quality meats like lean ground turkey on sale, and add a batch of brown rice, along with canned veggies, even stuff like carrot peels and fruits. It depends what I've found on sale and what's here that needs to be used up. Last batch, I added in liquid whey I had from making yogurt cheese for us. Most batches get a generous amount of canned tomatoes and green beans, among other things of course. It's easy to make up a big batch of food for her and then freeze it.

Our dog is twelve now and acts like a puppy. She's much more energetic than she was when she had to eat dog food, her coat is much softer and nicer, she talks a lot more, and she seems much happier. She never refuses to eat her food now, either. Our vets, who sell high end dog food and have a vested interest in getting people to buy it, applaud the change, give our dog a clean bill of health, and talk about how many people are now going the same route.

It doesn't matter how expensive dog food is, they can all have the same problems that have been reported in the news.

Not saying everyone has to do what we do, just throwing out another option that has worked well for us.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Not cheap, but I switched our dog to real food a couple years ago. My only regret is ever making her eat dog food to begin with.

I buy discounted human-quality meats like lean ground turkey on sale, and add a batch of brown rice, along with canned veggies, even stuff like carrot peels and fruits. It depends what I've found on sale and what's here that needs to be used up. Last batch, I added in liquid whey I had from making yogurt cheese for us. Most batches get a generous amount of canned tomatoes and green beans, among other things of course. It's easy to make up a big batch of food for her and then freeze it.

Our dog is twelve now and acts like a puppy. She's much more energetic than she was when she had to eat dog food, her coat is much softer and nicer, she talks a lot more, and she seems much happier. She never refuses to eat her food now, either. Our vets, who sell high end dog food and have a vested interest in getting people to buy it, applaud the change, give our dog a clean bill of health, and talk about how many people are now going the same route.

It doesn't matter how expensive dog food is, they can all have the same problems that have been reported in the news.

Not saying everyone has to do what we do, just throwing out another option that has worked well for us.
How did you decide portion size?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Check Amazon. If you can find it for sale directly through them and meet the minimum $35 order to get 'free' delivery (if you're ordering other things, too), it could be a cheaper option (or not). Worth checking out, though, I'd bet.

On a side note, while we don't feed raw, we have begun feeding our dogs 'leftovers'. Nothing crazy, but those few bites of rice or veggies the kids didn't finish go into the bowl as well. Helps reduce our kibble bill, and their coats look great.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We use "taste of the wild" dry food for our kitties. The local pet food store is several dollars cheaper than Amazon. I only tossed it in the amazon cart so that DH can have a picture of it if he has to go pick it up. The last time I looked for their cat food in a petsmart or that type of place, they didn't carry it.

Wet food has been changed to raw chicken, cooked chicken, or beef bits (the "groddie bits" from when you cook up beef bones). We do keep a few cans around, but the cans have gotten so expensive. It is much cheaper to buy a day old chicken and take it home and grind it up than it is to buy a bunch of canned cat food. And, their coats are so soft since we switched.

I did run across an interesting trick for cat treats. The person said to buy a different brand of really good cat food. Cat treats are $1 a bag on sale. Most are 2.1 ounces each. That is like $8 a pound. The expensive cat food was 6.6 pounds for $24, so about $4 a pound (yes, less than, but $4 is an easy number for my math deficient brain to work with). The expensive cat food is half the price of the treats. You get a container and mix cat treats with the cat food, so the food smells sort of like the treats. I used an old large peanut butter container. Right now, we are giving them two pieces of cat treats and two pieces of cat food when we give them treatsies. Once they are used to the cat food as treats, we probably won't be so careful as to how many they get each time. Even if the treat bags are 3 ounces instead of the 2.1 ounces, it is still cheaper, just not so much cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
How did you decide portion size?
I estimate. If it seems like she's gaining weight, I cut back a couple tablespoons till she loses a little and stabilizes. She's also self-limiting, so if she's not hungry, she quits eating, and that helps. (Wish I could figure out how to do that!) She gets some snacks in the evening, also human-quality food like turkey jerky I make for her and us, or whatever I've found on sale or HM dog treats. (Recipes are everywhere, just Google.) Our girl is a husky so she doesn't eat very much.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
wag.com was expensive compared to Sams club. I get 46# for the same price as their not quite 30#.
I wouldnt want to go on autoship to save 5% and you have to buy $49. for free ship.
Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I buy our dog food at Trader Joe's. Not sure hot it compares price-wise, but it's $8 bag and it's organic and all that jazz. It lasts about a month for my 2 small dogs.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fw; the store I'm getting my food at is a single mom and pop type of store and when I told psp how high they were they said k9 didn't have the overhead. And I did look at wag for 15% off and it is still cheaper at k9. I also looked at a place online chewy.com and they did not carry the kind of food I feed my dog; chicken soup for the dog lovers soul. It has very high ratings. I had a dog who got cancer and wanted to try a different food. I don't know if it will matter, but why not try something different

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My two dogs only eat 1/2 cup each per day. I feed Blue Buffalo grain free. For treats they get green beans or a teaspoon of greek yogurt. I haven't found huge savings anywhere on this food but do get a discount on an occasional coupon.

·
8,714 Posts
~Oh Spirit Deer, you and I really are kindred spirits! Our new puppy is only getting homemade food. It's incredibly easy and cheap to make. I don't feed my family processed mystery food filled with corn and animal by-products, why would I give it to my dog? Plus it's a great way to use up little bits of meat(especially the areas around joints and the stringy dark stuff none of use like)and veggies. I mixed up two batches this week(turkey/pumpkin/cranberry/brown rice and chicken/carrot/green bean/brown rice-mixture of 40%meat, 40% starch, 20% F&V)for a cost of only $.30 a cup(four servings for our puppy). Well, that's if I was counting the cost with $1 and $1.50lb meat. So far, and I think in the future, we will be using the bits I previously saved for making broth. So more like $.10 cup. We're giving her a mineral/vitamin supplement as well and that's $.25 a day. Her holistic Vet gave her diet the A-OK.
And the general feeding rule is 4% of their body weight, according to the Vet. So for every 10lbs of body weight(10lbsX16oz=160ozX.04)you would feed 6.4oz or about 3/4 cup.~

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Be sure to avoid onions, garlic, chocolate, raisins, grapes, and all the usual stuff that's bad for doggies.

I often put in the carrot peels in Sugar's food. Her food is not cheap to make but we don't really care.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul is manufactured by Diamond Foods. So isn't Taste of the Wild, Costco's Kirkland, Natural Balance, Nature's Domain, Solid Gold. So, essentially, if you compare formulas, you might be able to save a buck or two by switching brands within this manufacturers line.
Personally, I prefer to go with single manufacturer foods. It's a weird and complicated world within the pet food industry. Caveat Emptor definitely applies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts