Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet keeps bringing up pet insurance for my puppy. I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's. It's only $31 a month and covers $1000 should illness or accident occur. My dog was pretty expensive to buy so part of me wants it but I'm not sure it's worth it. What do you guys think about pet insurance?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had VPI for YEARS and they were really good about paying fair claims and had an option to pay directly to my vet, which was nice. I have too many dogs now (although they do give a multi-dog discount) so I self-insure by placing a set amount into their own emergency fund now, but, at that time, VPI bought me a lot of peace of mind.

I wouldn't choose the plan that pays for routine vaccinations and heartworm/flea meds. I just take my dogs to the community-sponsored "health pet fair" to get those at a DEEP discount; then I use my vet for everything medical and emergencies.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I can't afford it right now but I did look into it and price it out.

Like oOwl, I watch for the shot-clinic days to save money. They also have "microchip your pet day!" for about half the price or less sometimes.

Other things that will help over the years: invest in a good food, measure their food (to avoid obese pets), microchip them, exercise them, and try to stay away from the junky treats. (especially those with dyes, ick!)

I also have a $5,000 Care-Credit card for emergencies only. One mishap can easily wipe out a 1k emergency fund. Unlike my visa, I can't go buy a coffee with it as its only for a specific use.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
krbs do you always get 6 months same a cash with care credit or is that only good when you first open acct?
I should know the answer to that but I do not. I ordered it, activated it, and threw it in a drawer with a prayer that I never have to use it. If there's a true emergency, I'll be honest, I wont care until after its all over. Sorry that's not a good financial answer! :uhh:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Is that a normal policy? $1000 max seems ridiculously low for such a high monthly rate. If you don't make a claim, you'll have spent more than $1000 just on premiums after 32 months. I'd rather assume the risk.

Reactions: khaski

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
We have pet insurance because you just never know. I know we could do a lot of "what if" and figure what we could save over X amount of months if we didn't pay for it, but it doesn't matter. We can fit it in our budget, so we do. A few summers ago my dog was attacked by neighbor dogs who got away from their owners, even on leash, while we were out on a walk, and he had to have emergency surgery to take care of 4 major wounds that required 3 drainage tubes, 40-some external stitches, more internal stitches, and multiple medications. I could never have anticipated this happening. So our decision is firm.

BUT, are you sure it's $1,000? That does sound really low. Ours is $30/mth but covers $20,000/yr. It doesn't include preventive care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts