Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how much everyone is paying for Petrol

An average of local stations here(Ireland) is €1.57 per litre.
Did a quick conversion for our American friends & that works out at €7.47 per gallon.
Here the government has a hugh tax take from fuel, how about where you live?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
€1.74 per litre in Denmark, which is approx 8/gallon.

·
Registered
844 Posts
In Brussels it's €1.78 per litre, that's US$ 6.73 per US gallon. (Rona, I think you used British gallons for your calculation; US gallon = 3.785 liters). We try not to drive unless necessary, and if so, take the fuel-efficient car (which happens to be our brandnew, bigger car).

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
In Brussels it's €1.78 per litre, that's US$ 6.73 per US gallon. (Rona, I think you used British gallons for your calculation; US gallon = 3.785 liters). We try not to drive unless necessary, and if so, take the fuel-efficient car (which happens to be our brandnew, bigger car).
I think your conversion is off... €1.78 = $2.23 x 3.785 = $8.44

Either way, it's significantly more than the $4/gallon my American friends think is so "horrible."

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those prices are really high, I wonder How long it will be before we break the €2 mark?. To combat this we parked up our 2.8ltr Diesal Jeep and now have 1 1.4ltr Petrol car (and having to rely on friends to move animals when needed, not ideal but what we have to do for now).
Like you Sibrie we try to keep our driving down (combining trips etc.)
Thanks to you both for putting up the prices I was curious to know how some my neighbours were doing:)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi Rona, I just realised that I had calculated the liters/gallons, but not the euros/dollars :-( The schoolyear started today in Belgium and my head was spinning with 'things to do'; I should not have been on any forum, at all.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I paid $3.93/gal yesterday for premium. While not as high as some of you are reporting, I'm still trying to limit my driving. Unfortunately, there is no public transportation in my immediate area. However, I heard on the news where bus and rail fares are being doubled so not sure there would be any significant savings.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Rona, I just realised that I had calculated the liters/gallons, but not the euros/dollars :-( The schoolyear started today in Belgium and my head was spinning with 'things to do'; I should not have been on any forum, at all.
;) Not to worry, My wee ones went back last week & like you my brain felt like it was on overdrive with everything to be done;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid $3.93/gal yesterday for premium. While not as high as some of you are reporting, I'm still trying to limit my driving. Unfortunately, there is no public transportation in my immediate area. However, I heard on the news where bus and rail fares are being doubled so not sure there would be any significant savings.
SueBee, I'm in the country so public transport is out of the question & like you our fares are rising too making it an expensive option for people who need to use it on a regular basis. Looks like it's heading for the $4 mark - Why is it that it never seems to go down.....?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Prices went up to €1.81 yesterday :shake: US$ 8.86/gallon.

I bring my eldest dd to school by bicycle every morning. The baby is in a kiddy seat on the back of my bike, my eldest cycling in front of me on a tiny bike with training wheels. It's only 5 minutes.

Reactions: Jo Roma

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ours have gone up here too. The couple of garages near us were very good but they've played catch up so we're now at €167.9.
Well done on the cycling, great for all the family. Bet your glad it's only 5min though;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Dd easily turns it into a 15-min trip! She will get off, redo her helmet, get back on, be afraid of a doggy behind a fence and want to hold my hand (just imagine that, with her bike-my bike-baby in the back seat), get back on, be afraid to go past the prickly bushes, get off to walk, get back on, can't pedal up the very slight incline, walk, get back on, say she's tired and wants to be carried, get back on, be afraid of a car and walk........

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dd easily turns it into a 15-min trip! She will get off, redo her helmet, get back on, be afraid of a doggy behind a fence and want to hold my hand (just imagine that, with her bike-my bike-baby in the back seat), get back on, be afraid to go past the prickly bushes, get off to walk, get back on, can't pedal up the very slight incline, walk, get back on, say she's tired and wants to be carried, get back on, be afraid of a car and walk........
Lol there are times I used to feel like I was herding sheep, they'd go everywhere but where you wanted them to go. Hope your wee one gets past this phase fast ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts