Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you believe pets "know" when something is going to happen and try to let you know or is it just coincidence? We are so far away from what has happened but our dog woke us a few times last night frantic, beside himself for no apparent reason and now we all know about these horrible earthquakes, tsunami and all the devastation...

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
I don't know about disasters, but my cat woke me up in the middle of the night twice.

The first time we had a burglar.

The 2nd time it was raining and water had started to leak through the chandelier in the hallway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I was a child long before they can monitor tornado's on radar I had a dog that started to shake and go under my bed. The dog had never done that before and about a hour later a tornado hit our area including our home.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yes I have a "retired" working dog and he is my all weather dog. He goes crazy if we have storms, before tornado sirens, and senses anything not right. He is an absolute doll and I love him, now as for the pugs, they will sleep through anything....LOL

Edited to add : I do know dogs that have sensed out cancer. I use to work with the seeing eye dog program out west for an organization I was a member of and these dogs were great at sensing danger and things for their owners.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
yes i do . they used dogs for people with seizures who dont have auras the dogs can sense when it will happen - i just read an article about w woman with diabetes who gets no symptoms when her blood sugar goes low who has a dog that warns her.

we use humans use such a small part of our brain - i wouldnt doubt some ultra sensative humans may have felt something was off too and just dismissed it .

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
My cat can tell when severe weather is coming,

I think animals can sense alot more than given credit for. My Dad use to tell me if you want to know whats going on watch the animals and birds.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Absolutely! They sense much more than we mere humans are capable of. Must be handed down in their genetics and ancestors from once living in the wild.

When I was looking for a second pup to keep Danny company, he reacted very strangely to a 10 week old puppy I introduced him to and took home with us. He took one sniffover of her and then backed away and hide behind me. We literally had to drag him out to meet her properly...usually he wants to play with every doggie he meets but he reacted very strangly to this particular pup. Next day I took her to my vet for a checkup and it turned out she had a stage IV heart murmer. What a heartbreaking experience. I immediately returned the pup to the breeder along with some choice words to them.

A few months later we tried once again to get another puppy to keep him company and my my what a change! He immediately took to Bonnie like a fish in water and they are now six months later INSEPERABLE.

Here they are today....Bonnie on the left and Danny on the right.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Humans rely heavily on visual cues, our sense of smell and hearing are extremely poor. Unfortunately for us, a creature than can only sense danger with its eyes tends to be the last to know it's coming! I think that's why we ended up domesticating dogs in the first place.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Definately think animals can sense things. A couple of times the fire alarm has gone off because of something I am cooking. Instead of running and hiding the cat immediately follows me around until I fix the alarm.

If I have a pot boiling water on the stove the cat will scream and let me know the pot is boiling.

For some unknown reason my cat will growl before someone rings the door bell.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The critters were normal last night but my 2 year old woke up screaming around 2:45am and was wide awake, bouncing off the walls until at least 5am. Really makes me wonder if she could sense something going on? Normally she will go back to sleep in my bed on those nights but definitely not last night.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I am positive they can.When i was a teen I lived dthrough the Landers quake in CA. for the day or two before, the cats wouldnt come from under the beds. we ended up having to move the litter boxes closer and the foodand water too. otherwise they'd dart out and nearly miss the box being in such a hurry to get back under the bed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I believe strongly that pets and children can sense things before they happen. As we age we are programmed that we must think/reason/prove it , and lose function of our natural instincts.

I had a cat that could judge character and would attack anyone that had questionable character. Mom used to bring her out to meet my dates. LOL!

We have an alarm cat here too. She also tried to set our house alarm and turn on and off ceiling lights and fans.

My "old man" has been sticking to me like velcro and "talking" something awful. He must be sensing something about this earthquake stuff.

If any of our dogs were that smart, we never knew it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My dog hides under the computer desk like a cave when he senses thunder and lightening. He hates it, so if he retreats under there I know a bad thunderstorm is coming. Many times it is long before I ever hear it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.