Frugal Village Forums banner

Photo Wall

Tags
photo wall
4K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  AlizaJones 
#1 ·
I see these is magazines, etc. where they group a bunch of frames on the wall. Has anyone done this?

I tried it today. Most of our walls are empty, primarily because none of our pictures are big enough and they just look lonely and strange. So today I stuck a bunch of them in a clump. I used different sizes and tried to not make it look too regimented. I can't tell if it looks interesting or just messy. I'm not used to having so much stuff exposed.

I'm attaching a picture, although in real life it seems bigger and straighter.
Unfortunately, nothing can distract enough attention away from that awful floor.

#4 ·
Ya, I'm not diggin' the light woods mixed in with the darker ones.

But I should add that I have very few frames in my house. My mom's house turned into a giant shrine of photos on every wall of every room so I tend to lean towards "less is more".

Reactions: monkeywrangler71
#5 ·
MW, it looks pretty good to me. I was always told when arranging photos/pictures/artwork on the wall to make sure there is one line in common. For example, hang them all so the bottom of the grouping is the same height from the floor. Or have a standard center line to hang them all from. Or an imaginary center line that runs through the center of the pieces.

HTH

#8 ·
I think it looks nice. And I also agree that it will look much more pulled together and "purposeful" when all the frames are the same color.

I made my stairwell walls into photo walls for family photos. I don't really worry so much about lining things up or placement. I have found, as long as I only use black frames, then it all looks nice and intentional rather than random.

Have fun decorating,

Kara

#10 ·
I like the gallery wall effect and I second the suggestions about spray painting the wooden ones. I also see bloggers include other things in these groupings like clocks, wooden initials, silhouettes of their kids (there are tons of DIY tutorials), monograms made on the computer, mirrors, etc. Even a wall pocket with a little faux fern brings in texture and color.

#17 ·
I think it looks really good! I agree with the others that painting the frames all one color will make more of an impact.

I just started a gallery wall in DD's room. In the picture the frames look a little uneven, but in person I'm pretty pleased with it. I still think I may change it around some. (Disregard the curtainless windows, we just moved in less than a month ago)

#18 ·
This is my "gallery wall", I am missing one 8x10 in the upper right hand corner.. I have it replaced now. I love doing this. It showcases my whole family. I think I will eventually redo the wall (paint too), and probably put the pictures closer together. I like having my family tree on display...

#19 ·
I'm planning to do this on the blank wall under the AC unit in the living room, it's just wasted space. But we don't have frames so it will be a matter of slowly gathering frames over time, maybe in a year or two, maybe not even then. I don't think it's something I want to spend much money on, no more than €10. But I love the look of it and it does seem more visually pleasing than having frames all over the house, but only 1 or 2 in a room.

#21 ·
Aside from photo wall, you can also try a painting or portrait. It is much bigger than a photo frame and you can actually use your own photo as subject or reference for this painting. It's a great idea for decoration purposes especially when you put it on walls. It's where you can personalize and customize your own photographs as well by turning it into a beautiful painting. I found this idea from http://www.snappycanvas.com when I'm also looking for paintings to put on my wall since I just move in to my new home that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.