Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a free, furnished apartment paid for by the church. I did not have any money to spend on a lot of artwork so I used a lot of fabric for decoration, and things given to me.

I got the bird bedspread as a gift, and the floral was a sheet found for .50 at a thrift store. I made the 'slipcover' (It's not sewn, just pinned) out of four lovely curtains that a friend's mom gave me. I may sew it together, I really like the curtains but covering the ugly chair was a greater need!

The same friend's mom gave me this sofa cover. I made the kitty pillow out of some cheap quilter's cotton, embrodiery floss and polyester felt. The Amish chest was originally 75.00, I got it for 35.00 since it has a tiny scratch. It's a great coffee table and stores all my winter stuff for me.

I got that tapestry when I was 12, in the past it's been a bedspread, a sofa cover, and now finally a wall decoration. I had that green fabric on hand and pinned it to make a box shape. It covers a stack of blankets stored underneath the TV stand.

My bedroom does not have much to show except the sewing/computer desk, which was given to me by a friend whose parents were moving. The fold out sewing space makes it big enough to also use as a table for my personal computer, since there's no room on my work computer desk for it. I made that quilt myself out of mostly scraps of fabric. The only art is second hand or gifted to me.

I'll post pictures of my dishes in another thread.

Let's see your cheap decorating ideas!:biggrin:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wonderful all of it is.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
in the first pic i see a green quilt on the bed, is that a second bedroom or is it another quilt? doesn't really matter, i love both quilts!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks guys! I had a lot of fun doing it!

in the first pic i see a green quilt on the bed, is that a second bedroom or is it another quilt? doesn't really matter, i love both quilts!!
Yeah, the green quilt is on here now, my Nana made it for me. The white/purple one I made. The green quilt pictures is from when I first moved in, the other photos were taken...yesterday or the day before. Annnd I have yet another quilt on my bed today. I like to switch it up. :)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Wow!! I love all the colors. You did a beautiful job!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
It looks great and I LOVE all the quilts! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:) Thanks, everyone! It's nice to have encouragement.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I love looking at what people can do with their creativness. Don't you love free stuff, cheap stuff, and sentimental things? They are great to use in decorating. Nice job!!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
You've done a cute job. It does look homey and so clean and orderly.

I do have one comment to make. I don't know the layout of where your apt. is located. . but in the first picture. . .if that is your front door. . .you might ask for a deadbolt to be installed on the door.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have always liked the idea of useing fabric on a wall. I once hung a quilt my great grandma made in the family room. People asked about it often. NIce job at makeing a generic place look hommy. Thanks for sharing. I second the op who said that you should ask for a dead bolt.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Very nice pics and great job decorating frugally. I also love both your quilts and your bedroom "office space" sure is a lot neater than mine. :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing the pics and your ideas!

--Michelle

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys! It's inside another building, which has two different sets of bolted doors. :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I really like it! Your home is quite different than mine. You have a grip on clutter. And no dust.( I have endless woodwork and live in the country. BAD combo.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts