Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading something and it stressed that a person should stay physically fit to prepare for a crisis. It makes sense to me- someone who is physically fit may be able to handle stress and other situations better than someone who would get winded quickly.

Since I can't do much to prep in stockpiling since we move, I decided this is one area I can start up again. I am also going to try and train myself mentally- learn skills such as first aid, do more wilderness survival training and get better at reading topo maps.

Has anyone else added these type of things to their preps? I'd like to know what types of things you all are learning/ doing!

· Registered
1,971 Posts
I haven't really done any of the preparedness stuff, but saw this post and I think this is a great idea. Exercise can do SO MUCH for your health, including warding off illness and letting you react better to stress, it's true. So that's a great plan!

· Registered
1,782 Posts
I have a stockpile and am working on making it larger but have also starting trying to learn new skills and get myself in shape. I have started losing weight and am workig on my stamina. I lost 5.25 lbs in March and am not getting winded as quickly.
I love learning new things so I have also started making a list of things that I want to learn and what I already know.

I figure that I can't buy the things we need very quickly because we just don't make alot of money but the health and learning are something I can do right now. So I am.

· Registered
662 Posts
Yes, that is very important. I think it's also important to be aware of your physical limitations as well. I am only 41 but have spinal issues - Arthritis, nerve damage, and an over straightening of my neck. If there's a natural disaster, I am not the one to go clearing trees, or rummaging through debris looking for survivors. I do have basic emergency first aid skills, and I can forage (and use) some wild foods. Something I learn a bit more about every year.
While I would never be designated a heavy pack to treck through the woods - I do have woodsman skills that would be useful.
I think every one should be as fit as they can be for preparedness, but also be able to fill in the gaps to balance things out a bit as well.

· Registered
16,360 Posts
Yes this is phase 2.
1=stockpiling . Am right on track w/ that.
2=weight loss and I started in Jan. I have lost 14# so far. We are sure to keep up w. physicals and dentist visits
3=repare/replace mecanical
4=pets in shape/cash stowed and debt paid off
Doing a lot more physical work has helped dump #'s. Should start digging the garden soon.

· Registered
221 Posts
our "doomsday" scenario plans involve going out to where my BF grew up. It's on a major river, they have survival equipment as well as boats, fishing equipment, guns and it's fairly isolated (good for an disease/zombie situation).
We both stay in good physical shape, feel good about our running/rowing/biking skills and he spent so much time camping and playing on the river as a kid, he's basically a trained guide! even knows what plants are edible, how to fish/snare with basic equipment.
All in all, I'd feel 100% confident going into the wild with him!

· Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
our "doomsday" scenario plans involve going out to where my BF grew up. It's on a major river, they have survival equipment as well as boats, fishing equipment, guns and it's fairly isolated (good for an disease/zombie situation).
We both stay in good physical shape, feel good about our running/rowing/biking skills and he spent so much time camping and playing on the river as a kid, he's basically a trained guide! even knows what plants are edible, how to fish/snare with basic equipment.
All in all, I'd feel 100% confident going into the wild with him!
We think alike! We would go to Dh's family ranch in an isolated area of the states- it has mountains and a big creek. I actually got the idea of physical readiness from a zombie survival guide :loop:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.