Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone-
I recently relocated to Chicago and am adjusting to the very dry, radiated heat in the apartment.

I already put a pyrex dish of water on each radiator to make it bearable, but I was thinking of getting a humidifier. I saw a BUNCH at the local thrift store and was curious if I should buy one there. I suppose I was alarmed at the fact that they had like, 8 of them- and wondered if they will actually come in handy.

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
I know lots of people love them, but for my part I found them more trouble than they were worth. I don't like cleaning and especially hate cleaning things that I can get by without.

I guess I'm just eccentric, or particularly lazy. When my apartment gets dry, I just wet a towel and hang it up to dry, usually in the bedroom overnight. When it dries, I fold it and put it away. Nothing to clean - a winner in my book!

On the other hand, I can get by with that intermittently, because I don't have to use the heat all the time during the winter.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I used one for a few weeks, but like Donna, found it to be more of a pain than necessary in my area.

I just bumped the heat down instead :)

Works great though if you need one. I've never lived in that climate, so I don't know?

Maybe try Donna's wet towel trick first?

Wish you lived closer, I'd give you mine :toothy:

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
If you could look at the filter on it.........and make sure it is "clean'.....then I would buy it at the thrift. They can get mold in them and you don't want the mold blowing out in your house.

Also, often you can no longer get the filters for them........and then I wouldn't waste my money either. (I have one of those- due to age of machine-- but bought extra filters and clean the regular ones often)

When you shower.....leave the door open.......this helps too.

Pick up a cheap hygrometer.............you might be surprised just how much humidity is in your home. WM has about the cheapest ones............I have tiny ones that I place in about three different areas.........kitchen, LR, and my bedroom. (hygrometers only.........not the 'weather station' things)

You don't want it to get too moist.........or you have mold!

Just because your skin might feel dry doesn't mean your home is drier than it should be...........

·
Registered
906 Posts
Personally, I would not get one at a thrift store. They make too many scents and chemicals that people put into them that could irritate you more than help you.

Avoid the ultra sonic (filterless) kind. They are a great idea but don't last long even when you clean them like they say to.

Get a fan forced where you can cut your own filter. That way you can improvise if your number is no longer made. My Dad bought me mine about 3 years ago and I have been quite happy. You do have to clean it occasionally and when/if you store it but it is not a big deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.