Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to go on a picnic for the 4th. Does anyone have any good ideas for easy foods? We wouldn't go more than an hour or so from home, but don't have a cooler we could transport things in. In the past we've gotten KFC and eaten that, but with the Pantry Poverty challenge, I'd like to try to do something from scratch!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
You could use a good tote with a lid for a cooler, just be sure to have enough ice, freeze some ice in bowls or containers and use the large chunks to keep your food cold, the large chunks melt slower anyway.....

·
Registered
8,337 Posts

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Make your own fried chicken and take it cold....... My family LOVES cold fried chicken.......

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I should have clarified more... we do have small coolers for soda, etc. - just not the big type I always think of with picnics. It would only be me and dh and possibly dss (depending on if he's working) plus the baby, so I'm not looking for big meals. Basically just good ideas for basic stand-bys (but not cold cut sandwiches)!:D

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea on the chicken Lori - I actually have some oven fried chicken I can pull out of the freezer!

·
27,948 Posts
~Bread,cheese,grapes,melon
~pasta salad,rolls

What do you have in the freezer or cupboards?Is there a place to grill there?:)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
we use 2 litre bottles with frozen water in them for ice in our big coolers.;) when i think picnics, i think fruit salad, potato salad or macaroni salad, chips, baked beans (cold or warm), sandwhiches...like chicken salad, ham salad, or tuna salad would be good.:D if not fruit salad, just some cut up fruit would be good too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We just went on a picnic Sun. I took beer bread, cubed colby cheese, peaches, popped popcorn, and cookies. The only thing in the cooler were individual Capri Sun bags and the cheese.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts