Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend was over this morning and was checking out some of my family pictures above the fire place. She was shocked when she realized that the (gas) fireplace was warm to the touch. It never hit me, but how much do you think I'm paying by keeping the pilot light going year around? Should I shut that off in the warm months and relight in Sept/Oct. Maybe a stupid question - I just never thought that a pilot light might be costing me more than maybe a $1 a month - am I way off on my cost projection?

Ted

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I have a pilot light in the wall furnace in my cabin. I leave it lit because every dang time I don't, I end up having to have a service call because then the orifice needs to be cleaned. If I don't shut it off, it stays clean.

I don't know how much it costs to leave it on, but the years we've shut it off, we haven't noticed any reduction in the LP gas costs, so it can't be much. I also know a gas absorption RV fridge running on LP will run practically forever on a twenty-pound tank, and the flame on those is about the same as a pilot light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spirit Deer - Thanks for the feedback....I've been doing this for 7 years, just thought I should get someone elses input. Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I leave my furnace pilot light lit year round. I turned it off one summer and was charged $2.50/month. So now I leave it lit and it still costs $2.50/month.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I have a wall space heater and i blow it out about April until Oct. I'm not sure what it costs by itself. But it makes it hot and the ans run more so that costs. Plus its old and I can't get a new ignitor. We light w/ a BBQ lighter as it is.
Just another thought. (wear and tear).

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We should off the pilot light in the gas stove downstairs as we don't even use it in the winter...not sure if it has saved money(Gas price has gone down).

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
We shut off the pilot light to our gas fireplace as soon as the weather starts to break. I have noticed that with it being in our FR, the heat coming from the firebox is substantial. We won't relight until mornings are too cool, but not ready for the furnace to kick on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts