Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this strange little desire to possibly, just maybe, one day, have our own laundry room in our house. Currently we take our clothes to the local laundry-mat. Not cost-efficient.

So, here's my pipe dream & what I'm asking for is advice, recommendations, anyone's who's done something like this before or if it's not a good idea.

We have two full baths. I want to turn the smaller full bath into a laundry room, using a stackable washer/dryer (it is a smaller bath!). The rest of the room would be storage of baskets/hampers & a small table for folding.

The other thing we'll have to think of is a bigger water heater (and where to put that)... but this IS a pipe dream. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
It woud be possible. If your dh is handy with plumbing it could be done pretty cheap. Does the bathroom have an outside wall? Ventilation for the dryer would be much harder if not.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I agree, it's do-able... and if your DH or any other family member is handy with plumbing and the such this shouldn't be that hard. Best of luck :D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Personally, I would never sacrifice a bath for laundry....considering resale. But, if it's a full bath, could you maybe take out the tub and put in a shower and put a stackable in the space? Having no idea where you live...is there garage space available for laundry? How big is the house?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
let's just say I'm the handy one around here. :)

the resale value is something to think about... but we live in condo's and having one's own laundry room I think would up that value... but I'll look into it anyway! Thanks for pointing that out.

the bath i'm hoping to convert is on the outside wall... so ventilation would be easy enough.

here's the thing... i dont know how!

i've researched online & am gonna hit the library - but anyone know of any good internet resources?

thanks again... these are all the things i need to think about. :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
We are actually thinking of doing the opposite. At one time (before we moved in) we had a 3 bedroom, 1 bath house with no laundry. Somone converted the smallest bedroom into a bathroom, then converted the bath into a laundry room.

We are getting ready to switch things back...we need the third bedroom, and we'll be making a utility closet in the hallway to hold the washer/dryer.

The one thing I do know, is that if you do not have a circuit set aside for a washer and dryer in your house (which if you don't have one currently in the house, you may not), you may need an electrician in to fix the circuit board, so that you can add the appliances. My neighbor had to do that, when he added a laundry room. I know that was an expense that he hadn't planned on...but when he got it all set up, they kept popping the circuits, so he had to call in an electrician.

·
Registered
623 Posts
here's the thing... i dont know how!

:)
I haven't taken on anything that ambitious but I had never done any home improvement projects before now. I've found good explanations and how to videos online and some great stuff at the library.

Technically, it is a PIPE dream because it's a dream for the home that involves Plumbing!!! :D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just wanted to say thanks again... you all have given me lots of realistic things to think about (switch breaker *duh*)

And MirandaK - you're absolutely right! But ya made me laugh. :)

thanks again... off to the library!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Oh yeah...about the circuit breaker, and it will have to be wired for 220 for the dryer. I think the wiring issues are going to be more than the plumbing issues. And...if it's not done and inspected by a certified electritian, your insurance may not cover if there is ever an electrical problem. You'll also want to check about a building permit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts