Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my best friends is due in March with baby #6, but this is her first child with her new husband. I knwo money is tight with them raising 7 kids and I know that it's somewhat tight for me. I want to throw a FAB baby shower for her though. There is a lot I can do to cut costs, I'm making the invitations, doing the photography myself, baking most of the goodies, and I've got ideas on the gifts already. The colors are going to be cream and chocolate brown. I'm using an antique kitchen weight as a centerpiece, piled high with goodies, but I could really use some other ideas that would make it special and still keep costs down. I don't know how many people are going to be there yet. I also have to throw this in another town and I know her home isn't big enough. Any suggestions for a venue. I'll be throwing this at the end of February. Thanks in advance!

·
19,119 Posts
How sweet of you to do this for your friend. Is there a church hall you could use for the shower?

Have a punch instead of individual drinks.

Is there another guest who could be taking pictures also/instead of you? - Sounds as if you are going to be very busy.

Do all of the guests know each other? If not, you could have cute name tags to make it easier for guests to talk with each other.

Please let us know what ideas you do comeup with? And remember to have fun!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I did a search and found these ideas

Choose a Free Location
Most of the baby showers I’ve attended have been held in private homes. I’ve heard of restaurant showers, but that will quickly get expensive. A friend or relative’s house is free, and allows you to cook the food yourself. If you don’t have access to a house, then consider a public park. Just arrive a few hours early to stake out a couple of tables. Make sure you’re near the bathrooms, though. Also keep in mind that many of the gifts are bulky, so choose a spot near the parking lot.

I've been to several no-host baby showers at restaraunts where everyone is expected to pay for there own food. No one minded and it was lots of fun with no mess to clean up.

Decorations:

If you have any of your children's old baby clothes or receiving blankets, try stringing a dollar store clothesline along one wall and hanging these items on it. You could also use doll clothes.

We also floated some rubber duckies in a small tub of water. You could use other dollar store toys or some of your kids' old baby toys, as well. Just sit a few around the room on the tables. Rubber ducks generally come in a package of two or three for a dollar,

Door Prize:

Have a Grand Prize Raffle, where everyone who brings in diapers or wipes gets a raffle ticket. All raffle tickets are thrown in a basket & at the end of the shower, the winner gets the basket. The basket had wine & cheese. Maybe $20 worth of stuff. My cousin got a bazillion diapers & wipes.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
you can make a chilli or soup as the main dish. this feeds a lot and usually doesn't cost that much. You can start looking for ingredients that are on sale.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Definitely do tea and/or punch as the drinks. That will be much less expensive.

Check the local library or senior citizens center. They will usually allow you to rent a room for a few hours and for a very reasonable price if not free.

There are lots of shower games you can play if you want to go that route. We didn't at mine because its not my style but I've been to several where we did and it was fun.

Are you going to do food at all? Most showers I've been too are just snack type foods. Maybe some chips or cheese and crackers. And of course the sweet stuff. lol

I'll look for some more ideas for you this afternoon when dd is helping me. :)

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Does she have a family member who would be willing to open their home for this event? I like the library idea a lot too. Most of the showers I've been to were at work and the food was potluck.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the great ideas, I will share more as I go along. Thank you, everyone!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Check around different restaurants -- if there's a Ryan's or Western Sizzlin' type place, they may have a banquet room that can be used for free. Ask ahead if you can bring your own cake/cupcakes or punch. I've seen rubber duckies floated in the punch bowl as part of the decor, and that's cute, too.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
with the baby showers and bridal showers there has been 2 themes brunch with coffee or tea & individual cup cakes in baby theme. 2nd theme is a sandwiches, pasta salad,veggies and fruit. The dessert was a candy bar. Both were lots of fun. I would say the brunch was cheaper to make. Quiche, hash brown casserole, fruit salad, link sausages, banana bread. anyhoo have fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts