Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in MI means apples are plentiful. I am curious what apples you like to use in baking vs. eating. Let's name some good things to make too, so I can gather up some recipes.

Sara

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I use Cortlands and Jonathans to bake with and macintosh and golden delicious for eating.

I make HM applesauce, cobbler, crisp, and pies to freeze for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Michelle

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
ooooh chelle! i'd love if you'd share some of your recipes!! :toothy: TIA!! i don't bake with apples, but i'd love to start! i do love to eat them though!;) my favorites are red delicious and golden delicious. they are soooo awesome!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here's a recipe for a dessert:

Caramel Creme Apples

4 large baking apples
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 TBSP butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream (or evaporated milk)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Peel and quarter apples and arrange, round side up in a baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar and dot with butter. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from over and pour cream gently over apples. Stir cream and syrup together in dish until well-blended. Top with nuts and serve warm with ice cream.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
wife228 said:
I make crockpot apple butter. I've also made pear butter too.
wife228 would you post your recipes for these please?

Jenlee-that recipe sounds delicious!

Michelle :chef:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
The area where I live is called Apple Alley. People from the city make day trips to buy apples and experience 'country life'. I make apple cakes, apple crisps, pies etc. Has anyone tried fried apple pies? They're very popular around here and *yummy*.:smball:

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
oh please oh please!!!! post some of more of these yummy recipes!!! :D this post is making me ready for the fall season. it is my favorite time of year!!

·
FV Buddy aka KathiBob
1,651 Posts
Apple Hill Cake

Combine: 2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
4 cups diced apples

add (sift together) 2 cups flour
1 Tsp salt
2 Tsp cinnamon
1 Tsp nutmeg
2 Tsp soda
Add both sets of ingredients together and stir. Pour into a 9X13 greased pan and bake for one hour in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. Can be served hot, warm or cold. Can serve plain , frosted or with whipped cream. Freezes nicely.

·
FV Buddy aka KathiBob
1,651 Posts
Betty Brown Cake
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 Tsp each baking powder and soda
1/4 Tsp salt
1 Tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 cups chopped apples
Mix all until smooth. Then add chopped apple and nuts. Bake in a 9 " square pan for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

·
DebbieBob
1,692 Posts
My family loves homemade applesauce, apple crisp and there all time favorite homemade apple pie!!!!:D

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
lots of apples where I live too.... I use whatever I can get (I'm not an expert on apples) peel and chop apples, put in a sauce pan with enough water to cover, simmer til apples are tender. add a bit of sugar and a handful of cinnamon redhots, stir until the candies melt. Mash with a potato masher, I like it with a few chunks in it. This is not my recipe but I love it. I make lots, apples freeze very well. Just blanch. The apple sauce freezes well too. The apple sauce is one of the dishes we are asked to bring to family gatherings. If you are getting apples from a neighbor concider apple crafts. lots you can do with them. I get my apples for crafts at an orchard. they let me have the fallen ones. I dry them and use them in oil lamp jars, potpourie, and wreaths....

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
well i am so sad :( apple picking was l one of the family things i use to do in maine. I can't now i am in montana. my favorite cooking apple was northern spy. And cortlands of corse. All we have here is Crab apples. Tons of wheat no apples though. So i am planning on buying apples next month they are not going to be the same though. just to make the pie i am dying for

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bumping up because there are some yummy looking recipes in this thread.

Sara

1 - 15 of 15 Posts