Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planting Garlic.
http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?SDAOC 3 October 2008 Planting Garlic

My garlic is hard neck snake garlic. (Allium sativum ophioscorodon Serpent Garlic, Rocambole, porcelain)

The porcelain variety produces a scape (seed tentacle). Porcelain garlic makes a plump bulb with only a few fat cloves (4 to 7). My plants usually produce 5 large cloves, and I have been using the largest bulbs for seed each succeeding year for five years. Porcelains are covered in a very thick outer skin, making them a good choice for storing.

The cloves are planted in October and harvested about 1 of July. Forty eight cloves were planted at six inch centers and the top of the clove placed about three inches below the top soil level.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I would love to try growing garlic since I use it in everything!

3 " down, but ow far apart? Do they have to be in the ground, or can they be in a container? Are they watered, or are they snow fed?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to try growing garlic since I use it in everything!

3 " down, but ow far apart? Do they have to be in the ground, or can they be in a container? Are they watered, or are they snow fed?

Thanks in advance...
Six inches between plants. Roots will form before freeze-up, and the shoots will appear in early Spring. They need no watering at this time, soil moisture will be adequate. I have never tried pots. Garlic is one of the easiest vegetables to grow, and it will grow in almost any soil, but the ground should not be in standing water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts