Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9 February 2011 Planting Tomato Seeds. Method. 9 February 2011 Planting Tomato Seeds. Method.

9 February 2011. Six varieties of tomato seeds were planted indoors. Four seeds per pot which will be thinned to one per pot as they get larger. The variety chosen are, Manitoba, Black Cherry, Black Krim, Supersonic, Early girl, Lemon boy. The pictures depict the planting method.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Thanks Durgan. I really like the heating pad trick. Thank goodness we don't need that down here.

I already have my tomato seeds planted in a tray and sitting in the sun on my back porch. Can't wait.

·
27,948 Posts
Looking good.:)
Starting the seeds now, do they get too leggy before they are transplanted? Is this a first planting & they are moved to larger pots before being set out after last frost?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Thank you, love your insight and helpful hints in gardening.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking good.:)
Starting the seeds now, do they get too leggy before they are transplanted? Is this a first planting & they are moved to larger pots before being set out after last frost?
They will not be leggy due to giving plenty of light if all goes well. They will be moved to larger pots probably twice if all goes well. I can control growth somewhat by cooling, and insuring as much light as possible.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok stupid question here, but evertime I plant from seeds indoors they plants are leggy, is this caused by lack of sunlight?
BTW, thanks for the plastic cup idea.
Too inhibit legginess, get the plants into full sunlight as quickly as possible, and I mean now. I don't even use artificial lighting any more. This may mean moving the plants outdoors during the day, and bringing indoors at night, since most windows limit light too much..

Most seeds will germinate without light. All they need is warmth and a bit of moisture. But after sprouting they need light.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I first plant my seeds, I only fill the plant cup about half way. as the tomato plants grow I add just a tiny bit more soil to support their growth. finally by the time they are ready to plant outdoors, the pot is full with soil and the plants are pretty sturdy with no leggyness. I tried that 2 years ago and it worked so well, I did it last year and will do it this year as well. I don't have a place to put a grow light, but my living room gets sun all day so I keep them near the windows.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I LOVE LOVE LOVE black cherry tomatoes. Awesome flavor. Good choice! :)

On the other hand, I have found that Early Girl just had no flavor for me compared to my heirlooms. Have you grown that before? Are you using it primarily because of the early maturation of the fruit?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.