Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a huuuge red maple in the front yard. If anyone else has a large one then you know the root system. Is there anything that will grow around the base of a maple tree? I'd even do pachysandra if I knew it would grow. I have heard horror stories of people adding a raised bed or any type of additional soil and having the tree roots come to the top. :eek:
There are already a few places where the roots come to surface and back underground. ugh

I am so not kidding when I say I'd like to chop it down.

**edited to add** I wonder if these two would grow well:

lamium pink pewter or Heuchera Montrose Ruby

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grass does grow there and yes it's shady too. I could put my arms around the tree so it's not gigantic, but it's large.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe sweet woodruff?

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would do hostas, but the tree roots are right there near the surface. :( I am worried about planting something that is too invasive, so the pink pewter is probably out. I think sweet woodruff might work.
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/galium-o.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
planting under maple trees

I have had great luck planting under maple trees. I plant Daffodils, tulips,arabis,hyasinths[sp],hostas, ferns, periwinkle vine,trilliums, violets,, jack in the pulpits and my maple tree is 40 ft. tall and 35 yrs old If all else fails lily of the valley will grow anywhere!! Round up won't even kill mine. I like it but it has taken over some parts of my garden

1 - 6 of 6 Posts