Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an area in our basement that the grandkids use as a playroom...but, some of them are getting older now (oldest just turned 14) and I'm trying to come up with some ideas to make it more user friendly for the older ones too...any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can get an off brand docking station for an MP3 player for about $10 so they can play their own music. Agreeing with the idea for games... check Goodwill for board games, even a couple of decks of cards would be good for starters. Throw pillows for lounging on the floor. You might also make a snack area and keep some kid friendly munchy things in baskets. Check the recycling bins or with the library for old magazines that teens and tweens enjoy. If you have an old tv you can pick up a dvd player for about $20 and an adapter to make it work with an older tv for another $5-$10. HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Try to section off one area off from the little guys "just for teens". Use a cool looking area rug, or position things to separate it. Teens love their own space. I'd get some bean bags and set up a video game area and a movie spot with them for fun seating. If your budget allows, those video rockers are awesome, and Big Lots had them for $35 at xmas time. Elphie's idea for a snack area is great. Maybe a cheap microwave and cooler to go with it. I'd also look for some cool looking plastic glasses and stuff. With spring coming we should be seeing alot of that stuff soon.

Kitty's idea for a table & chairs is great too. Ask on your local freecycle group for it. Somebody's always giving a set away on my group here. Get the older ones involved for ideas and maybe some painting. Maybe get them to do a small mural (if you dare :loop:) They love that too. Teen girls like crafty things. Have a set of shelves with a start of a couple of things to do. Paint on velvet sets and jewelry making stuff ranks! For the walls, find some (glow in the dark?) posters and a dart board is always a hit for guys and girls.

Music, food, movies, food, video games, food....did I mention food? LOLOLOL!

Lava lamps are still groovy too! Not showing my age here, am I? :)

Theresa

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I think you have a great list of ideas above! I think it will depend on the personality of your grandkids, too! But maybe, if you can section off an area for the older kids, let them help decorate it! It's always cool for teens to decorate their own space.

Maybe take them on a weekend garage saling day once it warms up, give them a budget and let them go to town on things they'd like to have to spruce up the place!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Some great ideas in your responses...will talk with the kids and see what they come up with too. The dart board is a good idea, since they have ones that are completely safe now-a-days. I have board games, they just play them in the kitchen now...so I will get my body busy & get the room together and make it user friendly for all of them...thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts