Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping any of you could help me out? I just recently bought some lentils so that I could start having them a few times a week. My perogative is I don't know how to cook them in a crockpot. What type of healthy recipes can you use them in considering I cook all my meals from scratch? Please advise me with what ever tips or information you can provide me this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
This is how I make mine. Yumm-O!! I make my own seasoning using the 2 recipes below. The first seasoning was the original recipe, but I tweaked it and made the 2nd recipe.

CROCKPOT LENTILS AND RICE
Half Batch
2-1/3 c lentils 2/3 c
2-1/3 c rice 2/3 c
6 cups water 3 c
2 pkg. taco seasoning 1 pkg

Place ingredients in crockpot and stir. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or after 1 hour on high, turn temp down and cook on low for 4 hours (sometimes less depending on crockpot). May need to add a bit more water if it dries out. Excellent alone or with tortillas and toppings of your choice. You can freeze leftovers for future use.

HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING

6 t chili powder
5 t paprika
4 1/2 t cumin
3 t onion powder
2 1/2 t garlic powder
1/8 t cayenne

Makes 21 teaspoons. To use: seven (7) teaspoons of this mix equals 1 store bought seasoning packet.

KIM'S TACO SEASONING

6 t chili powder
5 t paprika
5 t onion soup mix
3 t garlic powder
1/2 t red pepper flakes
2 t bouillon granules (beef or tomato)

Mix together. Store in airtight jar. To use: 7 t = 1 store bought seasoning packet.

Hope you like

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
As far as i know I have never eaten any or know what they are for that matter.
We're pretty much potatoes and meat eaters here....

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We love lentils- we make them in soup (sub them in instead of split peas) and over rice (just like black eyed peas or navy beans but with less soaking and cooking time). There are a number of lentil loaf recipes on the web. We also use them as a filler when making burritos.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My kids like them in place of the ground meat in sloppy joes.(Not in a cp usually, but real quick to cook!) I throw them into soups a lot. I've made a few loaves but haven't liked any of them.

Actually, the favorites here are when they're used in place of meat--chili and spaghetti sauce come to mind.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
CROCKPOT LENTILS AND RICE
Half Batch
2-1/3 c lentils 2/3 c
2-1/3 c rice 2/3 c
6 cups water 3 c
2 pkg. taco seasoning 1 pkg
I tried this but I need some help on it. I had to use three times the amount of water, it kept drying out. And the rice overcooked before the lentils were done. We liked the tast and I used to to fill burritos that dh has been taking to luch. what might I have done wrong?

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I am gonna try the lentils and rice, dont know how well it will go over with the kids but heck it's worth a try :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I tried this but I need some help on it. I had to use three times the amount of water, it kept drying out. And the rice overcooked before the lentils were done. We liked the tast and I used to to fill burritos that dh has been taking to luch. what might I have done wrong?

You know, you're not the only one that has told me this. This is why I added the little blurb at the end about adding more water. I do know that some people's crockpots cook hotter than others (i.e. my newer crockpot cooks hotter than roomies old one). I haven't had any problem with the rice overcooking though.

Anyone else have input?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
You know, you're not the only one that has told me this. This is why I added the little blurb at the end about adding more water. I do know that some people's crockpots cook hotter than others (i.e. my newer crockpot cooks hotter than roomies old one). I haven't had any problem with the rice overcooking though.

Anyone else have input?
I think my crock pot runs too hot becuae I have a lot of trouble. Im going to try again only this time Im going to put the lentils in first and then add the rice about an hour later. I liked this and really want to make it work for me. Im also looking at yard sales for an older crock pot , this fancy one I got is too much trouble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts