Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several questions regarding canning, and I know some of you will be able to help. First of all, I have two large strawberry patches which are just beginning to produce. I'll be making strawberry jam again this year (great on peanut butter and "jelly" sandwiches). Here are my questions:

1. I've always made the quick jam with Sure Jell - this is the kind that you freeze after making. Does anyone know if this jam must be frozen? I'm running out of space in my freezers and would like to save the room that all of those jars take up!!

2.I've always made this "freezer jam" because my mom has sworn it's the best...do regular canning methods produce as good a product?

3. I would like to make hm grape jelly as dss goes through a 32 oz jar every 3-4 weeks. I know this can be made with grape juice - does anyone have a tried and true recipe? Again, something that does not need to be stored in the freezer would be best.

Thanks in advance - I know you all will come up with something!!

Wendy

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I use the recipe in the sure jell box for the grape jelly made with juice.

As far as your other questions- I wouldn't use the freezer jam recipe for regular canning. Again- I use the recipe on the insert with the sure jel for regular jam.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I have to agree!! I have made the grape from juice..recipe is in box and had it turn out fine.
I love the strawberry freezer jam myself much better than the cooked kind.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here is the grape jelly recipe I use. It is very simple and easy to make:

Grape Jelly

5 cups grape juice (unsweetened)
1 package powdered pectin
5 cups sugar

Combine grape juice and powdered pectin in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return mixture to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute stirring constantly. Skim foam if necessary. Put into hot sterilized jars leaving about 1/4 inch headspace. Place lids on and caps. Process 5 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

This makes about 6 half-pints

Hope this helps.

Yolo

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I've used the sure jell for strawberry jam but I didn't freeze it. I've only done this one time but I think the recipe is on the box.
Seems I added everything and cooked it,then pour into jars and turned them upside down.

I'll have to try the grape using the juice.Seems easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts